We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Bylaws

Which Palm Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delta, BC
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dog Bylaws

I'm dizzy from looking for them so wondered if anyone can help. Just recently found out that we have at home, a bylaw stating a fine of $250 will be imposed to those who leave their dog tied up outside of a store, etc., alone. Can anyone tell me if there is such a bylaw/ordinance in place in Riverside County. This will be our 3rd long stay trip to the Desert and have in the past, left our pooch outside of say Stater Bros., etc. Appreciate any info. We're heading back next week and can't wait. She is 40+lb. so carrying in is not an option.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Bylaws

I think those laws are meant to protect (hopefully, educate!) people who tie up their dog all day. I couldn't imagine you'd have a problem tethering your dog to go in and purchase a coffee for example. I personally would never tether my dog where I couldn't view him just because there are some people (few and far between though) who might take a dog.

Here is a list of some pet friendly eateries:

dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guide…

Edited: 23 February 2012, 08:10
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
54,334 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Bylaws

There are scores of places with open air patios that are pet friendly in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area.

Sorry I can't tell you about ordinances related to outside of grocers etc.

Delta, BC
Level Contributor
490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Bylaws

Thank you both - love that website, will be checking out some places while there. I agree about keeping an eye on the pooch and being safe. When do the rattlers come out anyways, doesn't it have to be VERY hot, we are only there til mid Apr. Thanks to you again.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog Bylaws

You could email animal control in Pam Springs and get your answer directly from them:

animal.control@palmsprings-ca.gov

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog Bylaws

The ordinances would be enacted by the individual cities. They are not county-wide "bylaws." Most of the cities have links to their city charters and ordinances on their web sites.

In most cities, there is no problem with tying a dog up to a patio table outside while you are sitting there. However, leaving dogs unattended outside stores and restaurants poses a safety hazard for passers by and is often forbidden.

In the desert it can also be dangerous for your dog. I recently saw a large dog tied up outside a grocery store. It was lunging at customers going into the store and employees were trying to locate the owner before calling Animal Control. I would say that in many cities it is NOT OK to tie your dog up outside of Stater Bros. unattended.

Edited: 24 February 2012, 06:30
6. Re: Dog Bylaws

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:17