We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difficult Choices

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Difficult Choices

Hello I hope you can help.

We intend to cash in some supermarket (!!) loyalty points we have accumulated to pay for our hotel and have been offered the following choices for the same number of points in central Palm Springs:

Riviera Palm Springs, Ace Hotel, Hotel Zoso.

Location wise Zoso looks to be best place for walking to a choice of restaurants in the evening. Riviera however looks the nicest. I've kind of ruled out the Ace Hotel already as it looks too young and hip for us!! (although we are only in our 40's).

We don't expect to spend full days at the hotel, but may find ourselves with a spare hour or so to usethe pool, so that is not really a consideration. Also we prefer peace and quiet after around 11pm, I keep reading about the "scene" at Riviera thats putting me off. We understand we will be stung for a resort fee and parking at all three so again not a suitable factor for a decision. We are coming Monday 17th September for 5 nights.

Can anyone provide any feedback to help us make a decision?

Secondly, we will be driving from San Diego on Monday morning. Am I right in thinking that leaving the old town area of SD and driving out to Palm Springs Monday will be us heading against the general flow of traffic? We intend to drive to the outlets in Cabazon before we hit Palm Springs - leaving SD at about 9am how long should that journey take?

Thanks in Advance.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difficult Choices

I would say all of your deductions about the hotels are correct. The Riveria is the nicest, Zoso has the best in-town location, and Ace may be a little too 'young' for you. I dont know what the 'scene' is like at the Riviera after 11:00, but I would be surprised if it was really too noisy. A friend just stayed at the Zoso and has really good things to say about it. If the pool isnt that much of a concern for you, than maybe the Riviera wouldn t be the best choice. (It would be if you want chic, cool interiors and surroundings).

Regarding your SD to PS trip, you may run into traffic at certain points on a Monday morning. You will be going mostly against traffic, but I would leave around 10:00 or later.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,254 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difficult Choices

I'd choose Zoso. I'd also advise an early departure from SD to beat traffic and maximize your day, especially if you want to spend time at Cabazon.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,682 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difficult Choices

We generally leave our home at about 8:30AM to drive out to Palm Springs.

Sometimes we stop off halfway in Murietta for bkfst and then continue.

We rarely encounter any probs with traffic.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 13:24
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,162 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difficult Choices

My married kids in their 40's love Hotel Zoso for a weekend get away. It's a hip place, nice pool area with out side fire pit. Can walk to restaurants around town.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Difficult Choices

Thanks everyone. Zoso it is then. I was leaning towards it anyway for location but there are some not so good reviews on here and Yelp. All we really need is a decent room & a good nights sleep close to a nice choice of places to eat. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Really appreciate the help.

6. Re: Difficult Choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2013, 19:33