We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental question

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
3 reviews
Car rental question

At the end of December I checked Alamo and found I could rent a Malibu for $378.36 Cdn. for the last two weeks of April. Unfortunately, I did not book then. I checked again today and the price has gone up $181.70 to $560.15 Cdn. in one month's time!!

Is there any explanation for this? Is there a big event going on in Palm Springs at this time?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Car rental question

Not necessarily, it's the end of the high season but it could also just be that the rates went up, as they do.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,967 posts
296 reviews
2. Re: Car rental question

i have noticed alamo's rates have increased tremendously as they no longer honour AAA rate either. i use to use alamo alot but their rates are not as

attractive so i have been using dollar and budget for returning the car to the same location. but i use hertz if i am returning the car to a different location because hertz is much cheaper.

try dollar as i have noticed their rates are quite attractive

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Car rental question

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that the Alamo rate was using the 25% discount from Costco so Alamo has definitely raised their prices. We have always rented from Alamo and they have always been cheaper but not this time.

I will check out Dollar and Budget maybe even Hertz.

Chicago
Level Contributor
258 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Car rental question

I always try not to rent from the cheapest agency. I used to, and I would always notice large lines at my rental counter while other people just walked up to theirs. Sometimes I had to wait for cars to be returned before I could get one. The next more expensive company is usually just a few dollars difference. Now when I go to the airport I can always tell which company had the cheapest rate by the crowds, while I walk right up to my counter.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Car rental question

I checked out Dollar and Budget last night. Yowza! They are even higher than Alamo.

Dollar $639.79 US

Budget $873.58 US

When I convert these to Cdn. the prices go even higher.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,689 posts
249 reviews
6. Re: Car rental question

Rates can and will change daily based on anticipated supply and demand. It costs nothing to reserve a car and a rate in advance, unless you book through a 3rd party like Priceline. (Then you pay fully in advance.) I book directly through the company and check back for rate changes as my travel date is approaching. Sometimes it goes up. Sometimes it goes down. If it drops, I can always rebook at the lower rate.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Car rental question

I will book but I'm certainly regretting not booking at the end of December. Doh! :o)

8. Re: Car rental question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 16:16