We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palm Springs to San Francisco

Oakville,Ontario Can
Level Contributor
134 posts
84 reviews
Palm Springs to San Francisco

If one is visiting San Fran this year, how long a trip by car would it be from San Francisco to Palm Springs and what is the shortest route there?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Palm Springs to San Francisco

You are probably looking at about 8-9 hours depending on traffic. I would fly.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,780 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Palm Springs to San Francisco

Our son flies from SFO to Palm Springs twice a year to join us for family holidays. Easy flight and sure saves a full day of driving. We book American Air/Alaska Air.

You can rent a car at the PS airport.

California
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Palm Springs to San Francisco

It is 9 hours as mentioned below - you will need to head over to I 5 and then North of LA head over to I10. As other suggest I would look at flying. We are flying into Ontario - 40 minutes from PS and were able to get 99 RT on Southwest from San Jose (south of SF) for mid Feb - decided that was better then 2 long days of driving.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,311 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Palm Springs to San Francisco

I have relatives in Palm Springs, and do this drive every year. I take I-5 or Highway 99 to Highway 58 East to 395 South to I-15 South to I-10 East.

I used to go through Los Angeles, but got tired of getting stuck in traffic. Going through LA meant the trip was always 10 hours, whereas going via Highway 58 would cut an hour off the trip.

5. Re: Palm Springs to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2010, 14:16