We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melvyn's restaurant

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
Melvyn's restaurant

How "dressed up" does one need to be for lunch on a weekday?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,783 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Melvyn's restaurant

You don't need to be dressed up, but you don't need to look like you just got out of the swimming pool, either. Palm Springs is resort casual. Enjoy your meal, the patio would be lovely during the day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Melvyn's restaurant

Thanks CAnative.

gabbagabba

Texas
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Melvyn's restaurant

I have never had lunch there, but dinner was wonderful the couple of times we have been there. Looking foward to going back in a few months.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,783 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Melvyn's restaurant

Gabba,

Have you already done your LA and PS trip? How did everything go? Sure hope it's not this week with all the rain we are having.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Melvyn's restaurant

We just got back today. It rained all but the first three days that we were there. Boo hiss!!! Same thing happened to us last February. Can't seem to catch a break.... But the good news is that I checked the weather report and saw that we were in for another wet California trip and planned our day in Palm Springs to take place at the beginning. We had a great day there. Lots of sunshine and not too hot or windy. Just perfect. Palm Springs is so beautiful! We decided to drive there early on Saturday (Jan.23) morning to make the most of the daylight hours. We were going to Smoke Tree Stables for a two hour horseback ride at 10 am and were a little early, so we grabbed a coffee and killed some time driving around the area near the stables. We really enjoyed the horseback ride but were extremely dusty and smelled a little "horsey" afterward so we didn't go to Melvyn's restaurant after all. Bummer, because we were both looking quite forward to it... We did however, drive by the restaurant and will definitely have lunch or dinner there next year. We ended up having lunch at Ruby's. A fun place, but not Melvyn's..... After lunch we had a stop and chat with Sonny Bono. He didn't say much. Just kinda sat there....lol. Then we walked around and checked out some of the shops in that area. It was nice to see that there was a good assortment of items and price points available. I had heard some horror stories about the prices from friends that had visited P. S. in the past. We got some See's chocolates/candies for family members that were watching our dog and our house while we were away, as thank you gifts.Treated ourselves too. Yum! Then we went to visit the gravesite of Frank Sinatra at Desert Memorial Park and spotted his plot right away (got the location tip from a trip advisor member). We also drove to the site of the Sinatra compound on Frank Sinatra Drive, near the 17th hole (I think) of the Tamarisk golf course. The hedges were too tall to see anything but it was still pretty neat to do a drive by anyway. Perhaps next year we'll plan on staying in P. S. for a couple of nights to spend some more time exploring and appreciating your pretty desert town. Thanks to all of the trip advisor members that helped us plan our visit!!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,783 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Melvyn's restaurant

Gabba, glad to have your trip report. You did get up nice and early to have time to spare before your 10 am ride. How was the traffic going back to Santa Monica?

Ruby's is a good place to people watch out on the patio, I think that is one of the fun things to do in PS.

The shops you heard about as being super expensive are probably on El Paseo. I found downtown PS is a good mix for shopping. The See's Candy shop has been there forever. For many years we would go the day after Easter when everything in the shop was half off, because obviously they weren't going to sell much chocolate that week.

Thanks for writing, and I'm glad the tip about the cemetery paid off.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
672 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Melvyn's restaurant

The drive back to Santa Monica was ok but it would have been better if my husband would have swung into the Cabazon Outlet mall on the way! Next year, I'll drive...lol.

8. Re: Melvyn's restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2010, 17:17