We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corona Del Mar Beach condo?

texas
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Corona Del Mar Beach condo?

We are coming to stay a week in August to get my son settled in a nearby college. We wanted to rent a place near the beach instead of near Disneyland. Is Corona Del Mar a good spot for a rental? We would like to be able to go to the beach, rent bikes, hike, eat at some fun spots etc. I am assuming we can drive to Balboa island for the day?

Mentioned in this post
Corona del Mar
Corona del Mar
Newport Beach, CA
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
1,209 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corona Del Mar Beach condo?

<< Is Corona Del Mar a good spot for a rental?>>

Yes!

<<We would like to be able to go to the beach, rent bikes, hike, eat at some fun spots etc>>

Great place for it. Lived there for many years and it's a nice haven.

<<I am assuming we can drive to Balboa island for the day?>>

Less than 5 mins. Balboa Island is a nice place to spend a few hours.

Mentioned in this post
Corona del Mar
Corona del Mar
Newport Beach, CA
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
1,209 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corona Del Mar Beach condo?

OK so it's a few mins longer to drive from CDM to Balboa Is. This is the way I always like to drive between them. On Bayside Drive.

https://goo.gl/maps/K7E7r

Mentioned in this post
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
Newport Beach, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,597 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corona Del Mar Beach condo?

Yes, CDM is a good, well located area with good restaurants and shops as well as nice beaches. I wouldn't consider Balboa Island worth more than a couple of hours and that would include having lunch. It's really just a neighborhood of Newport Beach (on an island). Visitors expect it to be much larger than it really is. You can actually WALK over the bridge to the island or take the 3 minute ferry. Since Balboa parking in the summer is dreadful, I suggest parking on the mainland side and walking on to ferry or walking over the bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Balboa+Island,+Newport+Beach,+CA/@33.6071425,-117.8938085,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x80dce06efbc238a5:0x971e24d6b4747f87

Mentioned in this post
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
1,209 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
1,193 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Balboa Island
Balboa Island
Newport Beach, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,990 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corona Del Mar Beach condo?

Yes Corona del Mar is a great place for a condo/duplex IF you can find a legal one. Most of the ones on AirBnb, etc are not legal.

I'd use a rental agency like Abrams Coastal Properties or Burr White Realty and see if they have legit properties.

Mentioned in this post
Corona del Mar
Corona del Mar
Newport Beach, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corona Del Mar Beach condo?

Hey Scott - so what is the law in NPB about rentals? Is it the short term issue or ? What makes them illegal.

I try not to promote any when I know what the laws are. It's not illegal in San Diego but my bldg and others do not allow short term rentals.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,990 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corona Del Mar Beach condo?

Short term is legal in Newport Beach & Corona del Mar IF they have filled out the paperwork, charge the city Transient Occupancy Tax and have been approved. They can not be in an R1 (residential neighborhood) unless they were short term rental units prior to 2005 (or maybe 2004?).

My sister had a neighbor who was renting the house they were in and then renting out a spare bedroom in that house that had a separate entrance on AirBnB. The owner of the house had no idea his renter was renting out the spare room, which was a violation of his lease agreement and was probably in violation of the city laws since it had never been a vacation rental before.

Edited: 13 June 2015, 05:05
Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
1,193 Reviews
Newport Beach, CA
Corona del Mar
Corona del Mar
Newport Beach, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corona Del Mar Beach condo?

Thanks!

You know I think we have, if not the same laws, similar laws in SD. Consumer Bob on NBC has done a couple of reports on vacation rentals. Mentioning that the homeowner's need to register the rentals with the City and pay taxes the same as hotels have to pay taxes. Of course, I'm sure the majority (most?) don't.

Of course, there is always an issue when a renter sublets or makes money off of a property without the owner's consent and knowledge.

8. Re: Corona Del Mar Beach condo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2016, 14:17