We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days at New port Beach in June

Ohio
8 posts
1 review
7 days at New port Beach in June

Suggestions for things to do for a family with a 12 and 15 year old in June. Staying at the Marriotts Newport Coast Villas. Willing to do anything---including heading to Hollywood, Disneyland, Knottsberry Farms, boating trips, etc. Have never been before. Thanks in advance!!!

Costa Mesa...
Level Contributor
813 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: 7 days at New port Beach in June

For teens, I always suggest kayaking in Newport harbor. Or as a group, rent a Duffy boat and maybe have lunch on the water. There's some great hiking in Orange County, too, if you're interested. Or s'mores around a bonfire on the beach. And of course walk along the ocean and / or out on the pier. Maybe get a shake at Ruby's.

Level Contributor
118 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: 7 days at New port Beach in June

I second the kayaking suggestion. Rentals at two places; Google it. Newport isn't that far fro. disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm, so those are possibilities. You could also take a day trip out to Catalina. The boat departs from Dana Point, just a bit south of Newport. But plan some time at the beach! Let the kids swim in the ocean and play beach volleyball. Keep in mind that Newport Beach is about a 90-minute drive (without traffic!) from Hollywood, so you have to factor that in.

Anaheim
Level Contributor
673 posts
3. Re: 7 days at New port Beach in June

Hollywood is over an hour with no traffic: https://goo.gl/maps/BbwdP

You are staying close to Laguna Beach so i would spend time there.

Also look into nearby Crystal Cove for a stroll through beach history.

We need to know what your kids would enjoy (surfing or movies?)

Disneyland will take at least two days - Knott's is good for one.

Do you want to see the sights or the ocean or the attractions?

Rosco

P.S. I'm pretty sure Newport has a daily boat to Catalina too

Edited: 16 April 2015, 16:31
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,730 posts
189 reviews
4. Re: 7 days at New port Beach in June

Catalina Flyer has one trip a day from Balboa Pavilion. http://www.catalinainfo.com/

You will actually be closer to Laguna Beach than most of Newport Beach. It will be easy to go there regularly for shopping, dining and beach time.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
999 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: 7 days at New port Beach in June

Hard to recommend what to do without knowing your experiences. Have you been to Orange County before? LA? Are amusement parks your thing? Hollywood may not be the greatest thing in the world but I'll bet everyone telling you not to go there has been there at least once. We spend a week at Newport Beach at least once every 2 years and mostly just hang out at the beach but we've seen all the sights. If it's your first time definitely do Disneyland unless you have gone to Disney World. Universal Studios (again farther away) is fun. If you are into baseball, see if the Dodgers or Angels are at home. Dodger Stadium is farther but (in my mind) a better experience. Fashion Island is a great shopping center. Renting bikes and cruising the area from the Balboa Pier area to Huntington is a favorite of ours. Be aware of the possibility of "June swoon". The weather is often cool and cloudy that time of the year.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,252 posts
432 reviews
6. Re: 7 days at New port Beach in June

You will want to spend some time on Balboa Island. Go have a nice dinner and then walk the boardwalk that surround the island afterwards and reward yourself at the end with a frozen bananas or a Balboa Bar.

Take the ferry from Balboa Island to the Peninsula and see the Balboa Pier, maybe take a harbor cruise or go on a whale watching tour.

You will be halfway between Newport Beach and Laguna Beach, so be sure to visit Laguna. Downtown is great and the beach at Main Beach is nice too. Maybe go up to the Marine Mammal Center in Laguna Canyon. Maybe hike Laguna Canyon in the Nature Conservancy.

http://www.lagunacanyon.org/

tripadvisor.com/…EVERYTRAIL

Be sure to plan at least one breakfast at the Beachcomber in Crystal Cove, just below where you are staying.

If you have any interest in CA history you might visit the Mission San Juan Capistrano. It is called the "Jewel of the Missions" and SJC is a cool town, founded in 1776.

The Newport Aquatic Center is where I would consider for renting SUPs or Kayaks. I find SUPs more fun.

http://newportaquaticcenter.com/

Look into the Huntington Beach Pier too and Sandy's Beach Grill at its base.

I would NOT waste a day going to Catalina, but if I did, the boat out of Newport Harbor is closer and faster than Dana Point.

Of course the theme parks are there, the two Disney parks and Knott's Berry Farm, plus Knott's has a water park.

Not sure how the Chinese food is in Ohio, but Irvine, just inland from Newport Beach, has some of the best Chinese restaurants in So Cal and then Westminster/Garden Grove has Little Saigon, the largest Vietnamese population in the U.S. with some amazing restaurants as well.

I think ratinthekitchen means "June gloom" which means morning overcast at the beach. It usually burns off by early afternoon and isn't inland. It can be overcast and 68` in Newport and 78` and clear in Anaheim, just a few miles away.

If you want to hit the movies one night, the screens at the Irvine Spectrum would give your teens a good glimpse of OC teen life. It is a nice mall with some good restaurants and great theaters including an IMAX.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
999 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: 7 days at New port Beach in June

June gloom. I got some of the letters right anyway.

guadalajara
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: 7 days at New port Beach in June

Congratulations on picking the best place to stay in n.b.

The resort has a shuttle to take you to the beach south on pch.

There is also a cool burger joint overlooking the ocean walking distance from the shuttle beach area.

If you are renting a car, the tmz hollywood tour should be a treat for the kids... plenty of parking structures near the tmz tour pick up locations.

I would suggest doing the rodeo drive walking, best underground parking is from wilshire turn north on rodeo and first light make a right...underground parking less then 100 feet on the right...

Walk rodeo and maybe lunch at fat burgers one street over.

Crossing santa manica blvd there is the beverly hills new sign for tourist pictures.

I would do a beach day in laguna beach or el morro beach (just 8 mins south on pch from your villas.

Fashion island has the new vip movie theater with reclining chairs etc.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: 7 days at New port Beach in June

Be sure to have a meal at The Beachcomber at Crystal Cove right on the beach. Very close to where you're staying

thebeachcombercafe.com/_crystalcove/index-ap…

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: 7 days at New port Beach in June

I just wrote a review of a fairly new boat ride that leaves from Balboa Island.

http://newportcoastaladventure.com . I took it to see some whales (April) but my 12-year old daughter liked the fast boat ride the best.

Likely, you'll see dolphins, seals and sea lions in June.

Great way to spend a couple hours on the water.