We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport over New Years

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
Newport over New Years

We are staying at the Marriott Villas with kids 9 and 7 over New Years. We are looking for fun family activities (not Disneyland, this time) and things to do and places to dine especially on New Years Eve.

Thanks!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
179 reviews
1. Re: Newport over New Years

I suggest a visit to the Acquarium of the Pacific http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/visit about 30 minutes away.

The Balboa Fun Zone also might appeal to your children http://thebalboafunzone.com/

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Newport over New Years

Knott's Berry Farm hosts a New years Eve Party with fireworks, not as big and crazy as Disneyland, but a good choice for families.

www.knotts.com

Long Beach has Fireworks near the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary, and is a family friendly event. (Note: the event offers fireworks at 9 PM and ends at 10 PM).

downtownlongbeach.org/event/…

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Newport over New Years

In the past Newport Coast Villas has had a special 'dinner party' (pizza/ pasta with games and supervision) for kids so that the parents could go out for New Year Eve dining. I don't know if they are doing that this year but it's worth asking if it intrests you.

You could take the family down to Newport Harbor earlier in the day and do the harbor cruise (45-90 minute ride on the water) then either have dinner at someplace like Newport Landing or Harborside Restaurant.

Once it's dark you could take the ferry across the Harbor to Balboa Island and view the decorated homes which should still be fully lit up. You could also walk over to Marine Avenue and have dinner or a Balboa Bar or a frozen, chocolate covered banana for dessert. You could also do this route in reverse since it's a shorter drive to Balboa Island than Balboa Peninsula.

It seems to me that The Dunes usually has a fireworks display on NYE.

The Christmas tree should still be up at Fashion Island and I'm sure that many of the restaurants will be open although the stores will likely close early. The Christmas tree is usually in the 100 foot plus range but maybe that's a visit that you would want to do earlier in the week.

NCV is located 5 miles from Balboa Island and 5 miles from Main Beach in Laguna Beach so there might be some actities in LB that would work for you there.

If you tell us what kind of activities the kids like and what kind of food you would be looking for I'm sure you'll get many other recommendations here.

Meanwhile, you can keep up with a lot of what's going on for New Years Eve by checking the local newspapers:

www.ocregister.com

www.dailypilot.com

www.funzoneboats.com

www.newport-landing.com

www.harborside-pavilion.com

www.balboaislandferry.com

www.balboa-island.net

www.newportdunes.com

www.visitnewportbeach.com

www.shopfashionisland.com

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
4. Re: Newport over New Years

Wow, this is great. I love the idea of the Balboa Island and the fireworks, the dining suggestions are great too. A lot of good information.

Thank you.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Newport over New Years

familyplanner:

I called Newport Dunes to check on the fireworks and they said they aren't doing them this year. I appologize for the incorrect information.

It's possible that somewhere in the Laguna/Newport/Huntington Beach area someone is doing fireworks. I'll check around or other people may have some additional info. Check the local events calanders in the local newspapers as we get closer to NYE.

Meanwhile, Balboa Island, with what remains of the Fun Zone, as well as the Harbor Cruise still remains a terrific option.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Newport over New Years

The Orange County Fair is hosting a large New Years Eve party with fireworks, but not really a kid friendly event.

metro.net/riding_metro/…804.pdf

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
7. Re: Newport over New Years

Well, if you are open to coming inland on New Years' Eve, the City of Fullerton will be holding their 21st annual "First Night Fullerton," a family-oriented, alcohol-free New Year's Eve celebration featuring live entertainment, children's activities and a fireworks finale. Admission is free.

The festivities will take place from 7 p.m. to midnight Sunday, Dec. 31, and will feature dozens of events staged at numerous sites in the streets, sidewalks and buildings of historic downtown Fullerton.

The program's goal is to broaden public appreciation of the visual and performing arts while offering an alternative to the traditional New Year's Eve celebrations. Fullerton is the only Orange County community to present a “First Night” celebration this year.

...just a thought. It gets high marks from families who have attended.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Newport over New Years

I had never heard of that event until dekage posted it. Good thought and it sounds great for families.

Is there a website for it by any chance?

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
9. Re: Newport over New Years

Yes, sorry, there is a website and I should have posted it here. As an after thought, I posted a separate thread with a link but here it is:

cityoffullerton.com/civica/press/display.asp…

They are also looking for volunteers to work the evening...you do get time off to enjoy the festivities throughout the night and to enjoy the fireworks!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
179 reviews
10. Re: Newport over New Years

Here's the information for the OC Fair New Years Block Party:

http://www.ocfair.com/blockparty/index.php

Edited: 29 November 2011, 15:42