We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Hour Layover in LAX

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
10 Hour Layover in LAX

Hi All... We have a 10 hour layover at LAX (from 1:00pm until 11:30pm) and we'd like to know what you would advise us to do during that time. We aren't familiar with Los Angeles but know that traffic can get bad (this is on a Friday) so your insights would be very helpful. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. :)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Hour Layover in LAX

First, you'll want to check with your airline and find out how early you can check your luggage for your next flight (assuming that you didn't book your whole trip together and that your luggage won't be transferred to your next flight automatically).

The good news is that you probably should not need to drive when traffic is heaviest - though afternoon rush hours on Friday can start building up in the early afternoon, its a lot worse from 4PM onward to 7PM or so.

Once you've gotten your luggage sorted, I would take a short taxi ride over to the pier in Manhattan Beach which is not far from LAX. Lots of good restaurants in this area, plus lots of boutique shopping, and of course the beach itself. The other alternative that's often suggested here, which is a little bit further away, would be to take a taxi over to the 3rd St. Promenade / Pier area in Santa Monica - again, tons of shopping, restaurants, plus a carnival (complete with roller coaster and ferris wheel) on the pier.

If your airline won't accept your luggage early enough, the next best alternative is to rent a car for the day and store it in the trunk, then drive to the places above rather than taxi.

In any case, depending on if your next flight is international (sounds like it) or domestic, you'll want to be back at the airport 3 or 2 hours before your flight, respectively. Rush hour traffic should die down before 8pm and that's when you'd want to head back to the airport if its an international flight.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Hour Layover in LAX

Thanks for your suggestions! Yes, our flight is international, so I think we need to be back to LAX 8:30 or so. I will definitely call our airlines to see how early we can check our luggage. Thanks again for your help! :)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,135 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Hour Layover in LAX

Are you landing from a domestic flight? Will your luggage be checked through?

Best to take the shuttle/trolley to Hermosa Beach/Redondo Beach and spend the day wandering that area and having a meal. Or, take a taxi to Santa Monica - which is a full day of walking the Pier, the Promenade, the shops, cafes, restaurants, etc.

Both areas are close to LAX

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Hour Layover in LAX

Yes, we're landing from a domestic flight and it will not be checked through because we're staying overnight Thursday evening at the Hilton Airport but late check out is 1:00 and our international flight isn't until 11:30pm. So, we're trying to decide what to do with all that time. Thanks!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,135 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Hour Layover in LAX

I'm confused. A layover suggests time between flights - but you're actually staying in a hotel the night before? Where does the 1PM start of the "layover" come from, from the check out time at the Hilton? If so, then really you have a completely free day - and that opens up many options for what to do that day (the hotel can hold the bags for you until 8:00 PM).

What are your interests? What do you want to see in LA?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Hour Layover in LAX

Yes, this changes things a bit. If you're "layover" starts at 1PM because you are at the Hilton and need to check out, then a) the hotel can hold your bags as Yogachik mentioned and b) you could easily get the Ocean Express Trolley over to Manhattan Beach, rather than take a taxi and b) you could also take an organized tour from someone like www.starlinetours.com, as they pick up and drop off at most airport hotels including the Hilton.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Hour Layover in LAX

I'm sorry guys! I'm so new at this that I never mentioned that we're flying into LAX on Thursday night! We'll be arriving around 9:00pm and staying at the Hilton Airport. I got the 1:00 from the late checkout time at the Hilton!

I guess you're right... we essentially have all day if you don't count the late check out.

We were in Pasadena in 2012 for the Rose Bowl and saw Beverly Hills, Chinese theater, Santa Monica pier, Queen Mary, Disneyland... etc. We'd be open to anything since we have the whole day. If we are allowed to store our luggage at the hotel until 8:00, that would be awesome because we can go back to the hotel, grab our luggage and shuttle to the airport by 8:30... 3 hours before our flight leaves.

I'm sorry for the confusion!!! You're help is SO much appreciated!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,193 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Hour Layover in LAX

Your hotel will definitely hold your bags for you. So yes you do have the whole day. How about a tour of the Getty Center? Excellent museum, great location, nice lunch cafe. Or Santa Monica for the beach, shopping, etc.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
82 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Hour Layover in LAX

Would you advise using a taxi or renting a car?

Kalispell, Montana
Level Contributor
147 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Hour Layover in LAX

You could do what we're doing. We fly into LAX late Tuesday night and have an intenational flight the following night at 9:30 p.m. We are getting a car when we land in LAX, drive to Disneyland, staying across the street from the main entrance, going to Disneyland for 7-8 hrs, and then driving back to LAX to catch our late flight. (Just a suggestion!) :)