We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
alabama
Level Contributor
231 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

I have a room booked at the Roosevelt but am really starting to question if I want to pay the price along with the outrageous security deposit of $150 per night..... So, I am considering changing to the Best Western located on Sunset.... Is either area better than the other as far as location? We want to be in a area that is walking distance to your "typical" Hollywood tourist attractions, shopping, resturants, etc. Any suggestions? So torn on my decision.....

alabama
Level Contributor
231 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

Let me add.... I'm very drawn to the Roosevelt just because of the history, celebrities, etc.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

Roosevelt is a fantastic hotel filled with history in a great, albeit very touristy, location. Best Western is well located for a more local's experience, you can walk to cafes and bars, but not the typical sights in Hollywood (which takes only an hour to see, anyway).. If it's that much cheaper, go with the BW. Will you have a car?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

Travelgirl - this would depend if you'll have a car or not. The Best Western Sunset Plaza is a pretty nice hotel, but its location is not the greatest if you won't have a car. The Roosevelt is much better located to use public transportation or tour buses if you won't have one. Both areas meet your criteria for walking around - the Roosevelt is near the famous Hollywood sights but the Best Western is on the famous Sunset Strip. If you won't have a car but don't want to pay for the Roosevelt, there are several other less expensive hotels that are basically in the same location - Orchid Suites, Magic Castle Hotel, Hollywood Celebrity, Hilton Garden Inn Hollywood, Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame are a few of them.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,836 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

Don't change.

Next time you come to LA you can try something different, but staying in a classic hotel like the Roosevelt is worth every penny for a great memory.

Glassell Park, CA
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

Reminder, Hollywood is very accessible via the Red Line subway. Staying in North Hollywood or Universal Studios area is also an option if you are willing to take some transit alternatives. Of the two places you note above, however, it comes down to 2 things: how important is the history and how important is cost. The extra costs at the Roosevelt - especially that security deposit - seem excessive. However, the area for that Best Western is not THAT much better than the Roosevelt, and won't have the same experience. (You're still close enough to walking distance to the edge of Hollywood - I don't understand the need for a car. And yes, I lived in that area for awhile, I DO know what I am saying.)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

I'm staying in the Roosevelt later this year and havn't been told anything about the security deposit - I assume its refunded to you on check out?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

It's ok, I get what it is now, incase you charge anything to your room!

Boston...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

Dear Yogachik, I don't understand why you say "typical sights in Hollywood (which takes only an hour to see, anyway)." For us, non-LA residents & tourists, there seems to be lots of things to see, to do & to eat along the Hollywood Blvd! Please correct me if I am wrong. You mean all those touristy things along Hollywood Blvd are not worth any in-depth exploration at all? Can anyone enlighten me what are the things really worth spending your money and time on in this neighborhood? If there is none at all, why are there always so many tourists flooding the streets here?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

I never get you can do Hollywood in an hour, or Universal Studios in a half-day.

For example, here is the Hollywood CityPass, a group of attractions at a major discount if you buy the package.

http://www.citypass.com/hollywood

Kinda like saying, go all the way to Santa Monica, just walk down the Pier, and then leave after an hour......

Or going to Universal Studios, pay the $80 to get in, and just take the Backlot Tour and not check out any of the shows and other attractions...

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
26,781 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset Blvd or Hollywood Blvd?

Most people come to Hollywood expecting something that it is not. Much like Time Square in NYC, it is a tourist hub, lots of activity. I'm not sure how long you can spend looking at the stars on the sidewalk or the footprints in the cement, that is totally up to you. But Hollywood is certainly not the best that LA has to offer.

No one has ever said Santa Monica can be seen in an hour, there's universal agreement here that SM and Venice take a full day to see. Universal Studios is a theme park that some can spend all day at, some do not.