We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Movie Star Homes Tours...

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Movie Star Homes Tours...

Hi all!

Could anyone help me with which movie star home tours ate the best? Is there any without the 2 hour shopping, my hubby is not a big fan of shopping lol.

Also we are staying in Anaheim, so should we get a tour from there or go in to LA and do one from there, as we also want to see the walk of fame, Hollywood sign etc.

Cheers, Tania.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,859 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Movie Star Homes Tours...

I would completely skip any movie stars "home tours".

The tours are expensive and what you do is drive around streets where the "stars" (supposedly) live and stare at their locked gates and high fences, not their "fabulous" homes. And listen to canned, probably not accurate, talk from your tour guide. Save your money

The two hour shopping add-on is to keep you happy after you realize you have been "had". AND the tour guide will take you to the "shopping" area which gives him the best commission for steering you there.

Laguna Hills...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Movie Star Homes Tours...

I agree. You can drive around Beverly Hills (or Anaheim Hills, for that matter) on your own, if you want to loook at mansions.

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Movie Star Homes Tours...

Agree with the others. Skip the tours. Just rent a car and drive around some cities in Orange County or Los Angeles County to see big houses with possible celeb residents in them. Some possible destinations for you:

- Anaheim Hills: home to a few of the Angels and Ducks team players and execs. Also home to a few media celebs on them.

- Irvine, including a master planned community called Coto de Caza: more ritzy houses and possible celeb habitats. I know of one ice hockey star who lives there.

- Newport Coast by Newport Beach: more big houses and another celeb habitat possibility. A certain basketball snake who plays for an LA team calls this city home, for one. And a guitarist for a famous glam rock band that has a funny feline name lives there also.

- Malibu: kinda self explanatory, no?

- Beverly Hills: ditto.

- Pacific Palisades: nice rival beach area to Malibu

- lastly, downtown LA itself. Maybe not big houses, but some of those condo buildings and lofts are called home by some stars, even if they're struggling ones :p

Yea, I'd skip the tours. Grab a GPS receiver, or a map and rent a car, and you can visit some of these places on your own at your own pace and cost.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Movie Star Homes Tours...

You might try this tour instead www.movielocationtours.com ... instead of stars homes where, as others point out, you mostly see gates and driveways, you can see actual locations where your favorite films were shot and learn a lot about Hollywood.

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Movie Star Homes Tours...

Thanks so much guys, I think it would be better to drive ourselves around for the day. Glad I didn't book anything.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Movie Star Homes Tours...

And it's always possible that driving around, especially in the Downtown LA area, you'll encounter an actual movie (or television) shoot, they're thick on the ground in LA.

SoCal
Level Contributor
5,651 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Movie Star Homes Tours...

You can get a map of the stars homes, we did this when relatives were in town. It was fun. No idea if it is legit or not but we had a good time. I think the map was $5 or so at Hollywood and Highland. Park there and you can see the Chinese theater area, walk of fame, Hollywood sign, etc.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
574 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Movie Star Homes Tours...

We did the starline Hollywood homes tour when walking down Hollywood blvd. We didn't plan it but they offered it for $20 ea & whilst I'm not that interested in Hollywood stars gates, it was a great way to be guided around & taken up to see the Hollywood sign. Went for a good couple of hrs & whilst it was no segway tour (which we LOVED by the way) would still recommend @ that price, if you have the time. Want to see stars, try the grove ;)

Windham, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Movie Star Homes Tours...

We did the Starline tour also. We enjoyed it.

If nothing else , it's a nice way to see the city without having to do the driving.

It wasn't perfect, but the guide did provide some fun facts we hadn't heard before and we saw some beautiful homes. I think it was worth $20 per person.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,898 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Movie Star Homes Tours...

There are resourced online where you can find out where the stars lived and drive up and down a few blocks in Beverly Hills, Bedford, Roxbury and a few others, north of Santa Monica Blvd, south of Sunset.

seeing-stars.com/live/…bedford