We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Englishman needs advice....

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
An Englishman needs advice....

My family and I are looking to book our holiday in California around July for 2 weeks. We want shopping malls, sun, tennis, holiday homes with a pool and good restaurants. Is this Laguna Beach?

If not where is it?!

Please help, Nick, London, England

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

Well certainly Laguna Beach is a prime candidate. So is Palm Springs and your other post asked. July is very hot in Palm Springs, temperate in Laguna Beach. Your possible other choices are other cities in Orange County (including Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach), several cities in the county of San Diego, and also several cities in Los Angeles County. Santa Barbara area is also a possibility.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

I'm going to suggest two hotels in Newport Beach.

Marriott Hotel and Spa: Nice hotel, very nice pool and spa, 8 tennis courts walk across the street to Fashion Island for about 200 stores and restaurants.

Hyatt Regency Hotel. On the Back Bay, an older hotel but with beautiful grounds, several nice pools and guests have access to (private) Palisades Tennis Club on the grounds (16 courts, nice clubhouse, has hosted Davis Cup and World Team Tennis). There is a a daily court fee/person (check with the Hyatt or PTC).

BTW, if you are visiting in July, the Hyatt hosts the Newport Beach Jazz Festival every Friday night with major names if you like jazz, Also, Newport Beach has a team in WTT, with major names, and they play in July as well.

www.visitnewportbeach.com

www.marriott.com

www.hyatt.com

www.shopfashionisland.com

www.palisadestennis.com

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,295 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

Rem, I think the OP is looking for a condo resort or resort community where they can rent a home with complete kitchen facilities. Perhaps the Marriott timeshare resort in Newport Beach would fit the bill.

I would check the listings on VRBO.com and TA's Vacation Rentals site.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

Cats:

I had to write this post twice since the first one got wiped out by losing my wi-fi. The first line in the first post was a question about if he really wanted a 'house' or a hotel since it wasn't clear to me. I shortened the 2nd post because I didn't want to have it wiped out again.

Anyway, Marriott's Newport Villas would work since they have three tennis courts there and I mentioned it in the first post but I still don't know the number of people or the ages of the traveling party. Plus, July is the heaviest month of the year at NCV since many owners paid premium prices for that time slot. Most of the bookings were made in July, 2011. That's just the way the system works. (shrug) But, I agree it's a good thought.

It's highly doubtful that they will get any tennis in Laguna Beach unless they are willing to play on the high school courts or the public courts at 'Top of the World'. If tennis is that important to them (as it is to me) I was trying to point them to a couple of places where the staff will arrange matches with other guests as well as having access to one of the best tennis facilites in the US. If they want a private home with a tennis court on the property, better bring more than big 'sticks' (tennis slang for rackets)----bring a big wallet. LOL

If they are happy just playing amongst their own group then public courts could work for them and Laguna could be a possibility.

The ideas about the World Team Tennis season and the Newport Beach Jazz festival still have relevence but they are both easily accessible from Laguna if they are interested and they have a car.

Rem

Level Contributor
35,471 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

Laguna Beach is a beautiful place to spend time in! :)

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
62 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

If you're renting a house with a pool and access to tennis courts, all you need is a car to get you to the shopping malls and beaches. July is great weather here, but please know mornings can be foggy ("june gloom") earlier in the month... though afternoons almost always clear-up beautifully. Anywhere in OC, within 15 miles of the ocean should be good for your requirements :)

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

Hello, We just came back from Laguna Beach yesterday. It was beautiful,

we rented a villa right on the ocean. Steps from our door onto the beach and then we walked down the beach 10 min to the downtown beach area.

This area is very quaint and has shops, art galleries, candy and ice cream shops, restaurants. It is great. We drove to Newport and Huntington beach but they didn't seem to have the same cozy feel. Loved it and will go again. The villa we stayed at was Sunset Cove Villas and it doesn't have a pool but it is right on the beach. It's slightly rocky in front of our place but if you want further down it is great, lots of surfers and paddle boarding right in front. There is a grocery store across the street as there is a kitchenette, many restaurants nearby and a garage for your vehicle which is not really needed if you want to walk around laguna. Had dinners at 230 Forest, Nick's Cafe, Allesa and Zuloo, all good! Will be very busy in July though.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 12:45
Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

Bonnsie, which villa? Our favorite place in Laguna Beach. Glad you enjoyed it too. We go every year and won't stay any place else.

England
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

If you are still planning to be in or near Laguna Beach in July, you must check out the Sawdust Festival (our favorite of the three art festivals here in summer). It is very casual and folky and has beer/wine and acoustic music in evenings. There are trams running especially in the summer to get you there, it's just up the road from Main Beach. The Festival of Arts also holds the Pageant of the Masters. I grew up in Laguna, my husband in England, we visit every year and he loves it. The only quaint beach town left in SoCal ... and nothing like the Kent coast!! ps Big Fish is our favorite place for beer (Kona Brewing Co) and casual food (540 So Coast Hwy, 2nd level, across street and up a couple blocks from Main Beach)

ps July also means the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa, near the giant South Coast Plaza mall.

Enjoy!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
421 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

I know this post isn't exclusively about Tennis but, there are public courts in Laguna and Newport that are fine and free...

Laguna - at the high school and on Laguna Canyon Road next to the Pageant of the Masters/Festival of the Arts (I'll just sit there and watch... there are some good players there).

In Newport, about half-way down the Peninsula on the left between 17th and 16th street - 4 courts there that are empty when I drive by every day.

Just throwing in a couple of cents...

Tom