We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in 2 days?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in 2 days?

My DH (50) and I (38) will be in La Jolla next month. He has 3 days of training (Tues, Wed, Thurs) that he has to attend for work. I will be joining him on Wed eve. We are staying until Sunday morning, so we will have all day Friday and Saturday to do whatever we want. I have been to San Diego once as a child, and that's my only experience with California. I doubt we will be back to CA any time in the near future, so I'd like to have the fullest experience possible.

I would like to drive the Pacific Coast up to LA and see some of the beach towns along the way. There are also a number of things I would love to see in LA (Hollywood sign, walk of fame, Chinese Theater, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, double decker bus tour, Santa Monica Pier - all very touristy things that I've heard about all my life and never had a chance to see). Obviously we don't have a lot of time in CA, so most of this is probably not even an option. And maybe there are things in and around San Diego worth seeing as well.

We like sightseeing, the outdoors, wine and beer, walking/active stuff, eating outdoors, being on or near the beach... Don't care about Disney (been in Florida), other amusement parks, Sea World (been twice), the zoo in SD (been once), or swimming in the ocean. Also don't care about nightlife.

Oh and we will have a car for Friday and Saturday for sure.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

San Diego City Tour
163 Reviews
from USD 48.00*
La Jolla Sea Caves Kayak Tour
77 Reviews
from USD 44.00*
Electric Bike Tour of La Jolla and...
73 Reviews
from USD 99.00*
San Diego Scenic Tour
22 Reviews
from USD 55.00*
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to do in 2 days?

for your very short stay...just pick which city you want. if you want to focus on LA...leave as soon as you can and drive up to LA to spend your time there. if you want to stay in san diego...spend one day driving up the coast from la jolla to laguna beach...enjoying the coastal towns and a few hours in laguna and sunset on the way back. one day exploring downtown, cabrillo, coronado, la jolla / pacific beach beach. last day, leave free as you will discover many places to explore in san diego or want to return to.

don't try to split the time between two major cities.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What to do in 2 days?

lttt - Thank you for the great suggestion! A drive from La Jolla to Laguna Beach one of the days might be a great choice and then exploring in San Diego and La Jolla another day.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
27,320 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What to do in 2 days?

Just be preparred for a lot of traffic driving back from Laguna on either day you plan on making that drive, either Fri or Sat. Summer traffic heading south on the weekends is bad. What is about an hour and 15 minute drive with no traffic will be more like 2- 2 1/2 hours either afternoon coming back (assuming it will be sometime between late morning and afternoon that you head back), and if you had to choose a day Im not sure one would be any better than the other.

Edited: 19 June 2015, 22:19
14. Re: What to do in 2 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 02:58
Edited: 20 June 2015, 02:58
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What to do in 2 days?

GoodBeer gives a good idea of what it's like on the weekends to drive up and back to Laguna Beach.

Laguna Beach on a weekend summer day is an ALL day trip due to traffic. I'm not sure lttt thought before mentioning it. And staying in La Jolla is a comparablle city to Laguna Beach! I don't see the point in visiting a very similar beach city when there's a fabulous beach city right where you're staying.

I'll repeat. You only have 2 days. There is plenty to do in San Diego County without looking to spend a day sitting in traffic on the freeway. Laguna Beach is in Orange County. If you make a drive up the coast there's no need to go any further than Carlsbad or Oceanside (which I feel isn't necessary.) Carlsbad, imo, is far enough. And if there's anything going on in Del Mar at the Fairgrounds traffic through Del Mar on the coast will back up but won't be impossible. A drive up the coast to Carlsbad combined with La Jolla is a whole day.

The second day go south. Pacific Beach, Cabrillo National Monument, Balboa Park, USS Midway, Maritime Museum, Coronado. But, I believe you've already been given all this with links to websites.

Frankly, you are still reaching out to distant places when there is so much to see and do out your door - within 20 to 30 mins. You've already been given a list of multiple opportunities to see beach cities in SD without sitting on the freeway in traffic to go to Laguna. I realize that you probably didn't realize the situation and wish lttt, with all good intentions, probably should never have mentioned it. Especially with the similarities between La Jolla and Laguna. If you had a week to visit it might be worth it. But to take 1 whole day away from 2 to go up and back when you have so many other options close by.

San Diego
Level Contributor
4,828 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What to do in 2 days?

You have been given a lot of really good ideas of places to see and do in the San Diego/Coronado/North Coastal area. I really don't see the need to go to LA, especially with all the traffic you'll encounter up in LA/Orange County.

Funny story, my nephew was visiting from Alabama with his girlfriend and they were so excited to drive up to LA and spend the day, go to Hollywood, see all the iconic sites, etc. - Boy when they got back - they were really let down. It wasn't what they had built up in their mind. They much more enjoyed the day they spent in La Jolla and the Torrey Pines Beach area.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What to do in 2 days?

Thank you everyone so much for all your tips and suggestions! We have decided to stay completely in the La Jolla and San Diego areas for the time that we have there. We are excited to see many of the places mentioned. We will return to CA another time to do the LA area thing, and yet another time to see San Fran and Napa.

When it comes to travelling, there's so much to see and so little time... :-)

Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What to do in 2 days?

Enjoyed reading this exchange. We will be visiting San Diego next week and will take these tips into account.

When planning a trip to Northern California, be careful not to refer to San Francisco as San Fran on the boards there or you will be inundated with advice on how to properly refer to SF.

19. Re: What to do in 2 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2016, 14:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now