We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around....

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around....

We will be in La Jolla the first week in August for two nights. One of our "must do's" is to snorkel La Jolla Cove. We're currently booked at La Jolla Cove Suites, which is a perfect location for this...but...we're now second guessing this decision as it's hard to justify $250 a night for a "so-so" hotel with a good location. We have a rental car, but as I understand it, parking is next to impossible anywhere near the cove. Switching to a hotel a little further away and driving seems impossible due to trying to find parking. I'm sure taxis would cost us a fist full of cash and our first born. Walking would be an option, but don't really want to walk 30 minutes with a bag full of snorkel gear, towels, etc.

I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions.....

San Diego City Tour
160 reviews
from USD 48.00*
La Jolla Sea Caves Kayak Tour
76 reviews
from USD 44.00*
Electric Bike Tour of La Jolla and...
52 reviews
from USD 99.00*
Balboa Park Segway Tour
7 reviews
from USD 69.00*
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around....

I suggest you look at the Empress or Best Western Inn by the Sea. Both on Fay. Both an easy walk to the Cove. A quick check of dates shows they should be in your budget.

Yes parking can be a little bit of a chore, but arrive at the Cove early and you will be fine. There are several parking lots in the area. So if you find a hotel you like away from the Village area you should be ok.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,294 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around....

Well, it is your decision.

I paid over $200 for a so so hotel in Yosemite National Park because location was more important than the hotel amenities.

Only can decide if that holds true for this trip as well.

There are some less expensive hotels nearby . You can try the Best Western Inn by the Sea or the LJ Travelodge. You can easily walk from the BW to the cove. The Travelodge is farther but you could drive in a very few minutes early in the day and find parking easily.

If you are willing to bike that would also be easy from that location.

There's also the retro low key La Jolla Village Lodge for less expensive rooms but in summer even the 2 ** motels near beaches are asking high prices!

You can also stay farther away and just drive in early.

Edited: 16 June 2015, 02:57
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,814 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Around....

I've never had the parking issues that you have described. Sometimes it takes a little time to find a space, sometimes I park a little further away than other times, sometimes I use a pay lot, but never have I not found parking or thought of it as a huge burden.

Edited: 16 June 2015, 02:59
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Around....

When ever I have visited the cove in the morning, before 9:00 am, I have always found parking both weekdays and weekends. Evenings and late afternoon are more hit or miss and sometimes I have had to park as far down as the Coast Boulevard Park which would be quite a hike with snorkel gear. The more flexible you are with the day and time the more options you have.

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Around....

Thanks for the advice.....I think we may relocate and save the money to do other things. We're also looking at maybe some of the Mexican markets in San Diego. I know about Pancho Villa's and Northgate...any place else you might suggest? Looking to pick up some goodies to take home, as well as maybe some talavera, or other trinkets. Any suggestions on that would be awesome as well.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Around....

Those two markets will likely have whatever your looking for and more than one location. Probably isn't any need to go driving all over for more. Having said that:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-tiendita-de-linda-vista-san-diego-2?osq=Mexican+Grocery+Stores

http://www.yelp.com/biz/supermercado-murphys-san-diego?osq=Mexican+Grocery+Stores

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Around....

The La Jolla Cove Suites has its own parking garage as far as I know. As Riff M said, all hotels near the water will be very expensive in the high season.

Besides Telavera and trinkets, what do you want to buy at the Mexican markets? For trinkets you could go to Old Town. For food items even small Mexican neighborhood markets might carry what you want. They are scattered all over town, and the closer to the border you get, the more you will find. Just put "Mexican market" in your Yelp app for the nearest one.

8. Re: Getting Around....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2016, 14:18
Get answers to your questions about La Jolla