We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about Half Moon Bay

Which Half Moon Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
361 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
question about Half Moon Bay

several folks on the cal. forum recommend Half Moon Bay as a stop on the drive from san francisco to Monterey....noticed that the town is a little distance inland....so is the attraction the town of Half Moon Bay....or the beach view on the coast? Will be driving from Santa Cruz, leaving at 7-7:30 am on a weekday....and need to be at SFO around 10:30am....so my time is limited. What would be good to see here for about an hour or two? anything up the coast worth stopping for? heard about a surfing spot....

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about Half Moon Bay

http://www.visithalfmoonbay.org/things-to-do

experiencehalfmoonbay.com/coastal-region/mav…

and here is what you can see from Santa Cruz to HMB

http://www.duartestavern.com/tour.html

The surfing spot is Mavericks. I don't know which map you are looking at but HMB is on the coast

Edited: 30 August 2012, 08:48
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about Half Moon Bay

The town of Half Moon Bay is not actually "on the water" but a little inland. You cannot see the ocean from the town. I see no particular reason to stop there, unless you want to walk around the town a little and stretch your legs. It has some cute shops. You will have views of the ocean all the way from Santa Cruz.

If you want to see some surfing go to Lighthouse Point on West Cliff Drive in Santa Cruz. It's always going on there.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 09:39
Monterey, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about Half Moon Bay

Half moon bay is listed on several itenaries because of mavericks the surf spot. It has great waves, usually only break huge in the winter time. They just shot a movie there. This is not a rookie spot. On your drive, just take the pch and you will love the views.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about Half Moon Bay

Personally my attraction to HMB is the fishing harbor, where you can get fresh seafood right off the boats. If you are coming from Santa Cruz and having to be at SFO, I see no reason to really stop at HMB.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about Half Moon Bay

Yes, you can get fresh seafood right off the boats at Santa Cruz as well. There is a fish market on the Municipal Wharf. There are several seafood restaurants on the Wharf, as well.

Level Contributor
34,236 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about Half Moon Bay

Half Moon Bay is a very charming area. We have spent quite a bit of time there this year. If you go, don't miss a meal at Sam's Chowder House. Their Lobster Sandwich has won several awards.

The beautiful Ritz-Carlton hotel is also there. This is a great place to go for a drink or appetizers in the Conservatory Lounge and take in the stunning views from this property. :)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,721 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about Half Moon Bay

I like HMB too - one of the nice things about it is that there just isn't a lot going on there :) The downtown has some interesting shops, there are some good restaurants, the beach is there, but overall it is very quiet.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about Half Moon Bay

I think something is getting lost in translation here To the OP, Most regulars suggest folks drive from SF to say Monterey and Carmel via Route 1 if they have time. The drive is lovely and the links above provide more info on what there is to see. As one of the prev posters mentioned it is the drive along 1 that is nice and HMB is just a part of it. Since you are leaving from Monterey to SFO and have time for that drive but not for a long stop or lunch, just enjoy the drive and stop where you can along the route and then cut away from 1 at HMB to the airport.

9. Re: question about Half Moon Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2013, 19:17