We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
532 posts
Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

HI all,

Travel - September 2018.

Wish to spend maybe 3 nights in a location cheaper than in Hollywood itself, have been told by a few people Burbank area, I have located Glendale....

Will be 2 adults and 2 kids.

Is Glendale a good location close enough to Universal Studios (with a hire car), is it more family friendly than say in Hollywood itself?

We don't need anything fancy, just clean, comfy and maybe within walking distance to say a supermarket or even shopping.

Also, is Glendale a good location compared to Burbank or vice versa for this reason?

Also, to use Glendale (or Burbank) as a base to stay if we want to drive into Hollywood and immediate surrounds?

Thanks!

(PS: In Glendale, I have seen Days Inn, closer to UNiversal I have seen Tilt, these seem to look good but not be expensive, again, the location of hotel would be to rest and sleep, we'll be out most to all day)

15 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,558 posts
7 reviews
11. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

My vote is still for SeaShore Motel in Santa Monica, unless you're planning to do a lot more in the Universal/Hollywood Walk-of-Fame neighborhood than most people traveling with children do.

We really don't know enough about your itinerary to advise...., and is it 3 weeknights or 3 nights over a weekend? 3 days is a rather short stay for such a large city with so much to see & do, so once you come up with an itinerary and schedule, it will be easier to assist you.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,245 posts
432 reviews
12. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

>>>Would you say these are safe enough family friendly locations?<<<

I would not recommend them if they were not. They are all on major streets in Hollywood.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
532 posts
13. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

Here is a bit more of itinerary.

After we're done in Anaheim, head up to LA on a Sunday, then leave on our road trip on either Wednesday or Thursday.

One full day at Universal (either the Monday or Tuesday), the other days explore around.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
532 posts
14. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

"We really don't know enough about your itinerary to advise...., and is it 3 weeknights or 3 nights over a weekend? 3 days is a rather short stay for such a large city with so much to see & do, so once you come up with an itinerary and schedule, it will be easier to assist you."

This is basically what we hope to achieve in LA:

Full day universal, explore citywalk afterwards (dinner, shop etc...)

Lake Hollywood Park for an awesome photo of Hollywood sign.

Snack/drink at Rainbow bar and Grill.

A walk around Hollywood Blvd (tourist time with chinese theatre, walk of fame etc...)

Drive up to Griffith Observatory, drive through Beverly Hills, Santa Monica Pier....

That's it so far!

Level Contributor
6,558 posts
7 reviews
15. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

Today it was 40C in Hollywood Burbank and 30C out at the beach.

If it were me I would probably book a cancellable reservation at Orchid Suites or Hotel Celebrity, and a cancellable reservation in Santa Monica. When you arrive in Anaheim, if there's another 40C heatwave and you quickly tire of the hot sun, cancel your Hollywood reservation and stay by the sea. Especially if your road trip is taking you to places like 44C Las Vegas.

Reply to: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glendale