We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

HI all,

Travel - September 2018.

Wish to spend maybe 3 nights in a location cheaper than in Hollywood itself, have been told by a few people Burbank area, I have located Glendale....

Will be 2 adults and 2 kids.

Is Glendale a good location close enough to Universal Studios (with a hire car), is it more family friendly than say in Hollywood itself?

We don't need anything fancy, just clean, comfy and maybe within walking distance to say a supermarket or even shopping.

Also, is Glendale a good location compared to Burbank or vice versa for this reason?

Also, to use Glendale (or Burbank) as a base to stay if we want to drive into Hollywood and immediate surrounds?

Thanks!

(PS: In Glendale, I have seen Days Inn, closer to UNiversal I have seen Tilt, these seem to look good but not be expensive, again, the location of hotel would be to rest and sleep, we'll be out most to all day)

15 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

Tilt is fine, but the Days Inn Glendale is a bit of a dump. Really anything in Glendale that is coming up cheaper than Hollywood is probably not so great.

Orchid Suites or Hotel Celebrity in Hollywood may be about the same price.

September is hot and can be kind of miserable around Hollywood/Burbank after a day at Universal. (today is almost 40C) You might consider staying near the ocean , much more pleasant, just make Universal/Hollywood/Griffith Observatory one long day trip in the car, maybe 35 mins each way. SeaShore Motel and Seaview Hotel in Santa Monica are usually at a good rate though Sept 18 prices may not be up yet. In fact lots of the choices for Burbank/Hollywood are probably not popping up yet in your travel search engines which is why you are only seeing Days Inn & Tilt at good rates...check back in a month.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

Thank you, any and all info I appreciate!

Days Inn = Dump......I am not that desperate I guess fir that one! lol

I'll check in with the Santa Monica locations too...

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,142 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

It would help to know your nightly budget in U.S. dollars. Hollywood is one of the cheapest safe areas around.

I don't think Glendale is a great base, I think Burbank is better, but Hollywood has a lot of good, inexpensive motels.

What are you using as a resource to search for hotels?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,074 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

If you'd like to walk out of your hotel to find restaurants, shops, and things to do, Hollywood is where you want to be. The other two locations will require you to drive everywhere for everything.

If your goal is budget lodging, know that the closer to the ocean you hope to stay, the higher the prices are likely to be.

Edited: 29 August 2017, 02:16
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

Glendale is amazing especially the closer you are to the Commercial district along Brand Ave. Amazing restaurants there.. Best and largest shopping area in all of Los Angeles. Check out Portos Bakery. Amazing.

There are several motel/hotels across from the Americana at Brand shopping center. Vagabond Inn, and Rodeway Inn and Hampton Inn and Suites that is a better location than Days Inn.

There are other options for budget just a couple miles east on Colorado Blvd.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

Budget would have to be below $160.00 US/night (which is approx. $200AU), the less the better!

Would only need somewhere clean and straight forward to stay (doesn't have to be the "Hilton").

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

The Sheraton Universal is where my wife and I have stayed on our last several visits to the area. Exceptionally convenient to Universal Studios (free shuttle) and most other attractions in the LA area yet out of the congestion, very helpful staff.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

Sheraton may be a little above the price range I was looking at :(

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,142 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

In Hollywood did you look at the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and Hollywood Orchid Suites? Also the Days Inn Hollywood, Comfort Inn Near Hollywood Walk of Fame, Quality Inn Near Hollywood Walk of Fame, Motel 6, Rodeway Inn, Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset, Coral Sand Motel and The Dixie Hollywood Hotel.

From several of these you can walk to the Hollywood sites; from all you can subway to Universal Studios and Downtown LA and beyond.

I like Glendale, but I'd never call it "amazing". If it was amazing it would have hotel rates like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. It is a good spot for many things, but not I think for your purposes.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal

"In Hollywood did you look at the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel and Hollywood Orchid Suites? Also the Days Inn Hollywood, Comfort Inn Near Hollywood Walk of Fame, Quality Inn Near Hollywood Walk of Fame, Motel 6, Rodeway Inn, Travelodge Hollywood-Vermont/Sunset, Coral Sand Motel and The Dixie Hollywood Hotel"

Would you say these are safe enough family friendly locations?

Reply to: Glendale (or Burbank) for Universal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glendale