We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Van from glendales to San Diego

Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Van from glendales to San Diego

Me and my family of 4 will be traveling from Glendale Ca to San Diego in March. I would like know about private van or SUV services at reasonable rate for this purpose. I will have 4 luggage and as many carry on. Alternate reasonable suggestion may be helpful as well. Thanks in advance. I am use to driving right hand drive cars so renting a self driven car won't be a good option.

Mentioned in this post
Glendale
Glendale
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
8 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,006 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Van from glendales to San Diego

Hi Khan,

Welcome to the forums. There are many many visitors who are used to driving in your style who manage to drive here also but I understand your reluctance.

It would be less expensive for you to rent a car and drive yourself.

I think that a car service such as you describe will cost several hundred dollars.

You might consider the Uber/app on your phone and see if their larger car service(I don't remember what it is called) would be lower priced.

Here is the Uber site for you to get a price estimate:

http://uberestimate.com/prices/Los-Angeles/

Alternatively if you can get to Union Station in downtown LA you could take the train to its last stop at the station in downtown San Diego. I think the train is about $35 per person.

Are you living in Glendale or visiting relatives there???

I ask because perhaps they could drive you themselves??

Edited: 16 January 2017, 02:09
Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,557 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Glendale
Glendale
California
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Van from glendales to San Diego

You might just want to Uber / taxi to Union Station in downtown LA, take the Amtrak train from there to San Diego and then Uber / taxi from the San Diego station to your final destination in San Diego. That's probably the easiest way. You could try www.zippyshuttle.net as well but I don't know if they'd do such a long trip.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,557 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Van from glendales to San Diego

Thanks a lot I am suppose to attend a conference of the ACP in San Diego and planned to show my kids around LA for 2 to 3 days.

Just a query, last time I was in the states I used the Amtrak to travel from NY to DC and from DC to Boston and back to NY. But there was a luggage issue it was tough carrying them along. I will have 4 regular size luggages and as much carry ons and my wife and two kids. Won't it be really tough to get this in the train?

Edited: 16 January 2017, 04:51
Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,006 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Van from glendales to San Diego

Why so many suitcases???

I suppose I don't think about that since I travel much lighter it seems than you and your family. Some of the trains have checked luggage so you just bring it to the train and they will load it for you like on a plane.

Here is the schedule. :

https:/…0.pdf

It appears that all the trains from LA downtown station to San Diego(last stop) have checked luggage.

View the size restrictions listed.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Van from glendales to San Diego

If you have that much luggage you'll have problems with a van too, not just on the train. 5 people in a van does not allow for 8 pieces of luggage. Zippy Shuttle will give you a quote based on the size vehicle that you will need if you mention the luggage issue.

There is an Amtrak station in Glendale with trains leaving around 9:15am and 11:45am.

Mentioned in this post
Zippy Shuttle
Zippy Shuttle
57 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Glendale
Glendale
California
Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Van from glendales to San Diego

Thanks a lot everybody I will check the train and probably take the Amtrak if the luggage issue is sorted out.

Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Van from glendales to San Diego

Finally I made the trip and I took Uber XL from LA to San Diego, found it cheaper and more convenient then other means. This information is for the future travelers.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Van from glendales to San Diego

Thanks so much for checking back, Khan A, it is really helpful. Hope you had a nice trip!

Reply to: Van from glendales to San Diego
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Glendale