We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for what to do

Minnesota
Level Contributor
192 posts
6 reviews
Suggestions for what to do

My husband and i will be staying at the Marriott Laguna Cliffs next weekend. I am not familiar with the area at all and am wondering about good restaurants nearby, activities, transportation. We are in the area for a conference. I know there is a music festival that weekend but we would like to avoid crowds if possible. I want to spend some time walking on the beach and a restaurant with an oceanview would be nice. We will not have a rental car. Thanks!!!

9 replies to this topic
Gibraltar
Level Contributor
519 posts
1. Re: Suggestions for what to do

Laguna Cliffs Marriott offers a great terrace with a fantastic ocean view. They offer small menue card. I guess you will find something for you.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Suggestions for what to do

Plenty of uncrowded beaches in the area for walks, also it is very popular to walk around the Harbor. The view of the Harbor from the hotel is postcard perfect. There is a long stair in the back that takes you down to the harbor and the beach, don't walk the main road that you drive in on.

If the weather is good, the whale watch boats are nice, not sure about whales now but they usually find dolphins.

for restaurants

Jimmys Famous is close, not on the water but has the best food, and is nicely decorated.

The Wind and Sea is on the water at the harbor and has great views, a litle dated but good food and reasonable, you could walk there. They also have a sunday brunch for $20.

The Charthouse has killer views but is overpriced, you would need an UBER.

Even better view is 180BLU at the Ritz Carlton which is an outside lounge area, but hard to get a seat and you would need an Uber

Stillwater is close, food is so so but great bar action.

Not many taxis in the area, but Lyft and Uber is popular.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
192 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Suggestions for what to do

Thanks for the information and suggestions!! That is very helpful!

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Suggestions for what to do

Gemmel's for French cooking, Cafe Mozart for Continental and The Patio or Olimendi's for Mexican.

Go up to Laguna Beach to hang out

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Suggestions for what to do

My family's beach is Strands. Beautiful place and free parking.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Check out the Dana Point Interpretive Center.

HTH

Minnesota
Level Contributor
192 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Suggestions for what to do

Great suggestions. I will try to post a trip report when we get home.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,836 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Suggestions for what to do

For close-up ocean view and reasonable pricing, try Fisherman's at San Clemente Pier. It is only a few miles away from Dana Point. Not only close-up ocean view, you sit on the pier and you can feel the waves pounding on the pillars. Sunset over the Pacific Ocean, and surfers in action.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,260 posts
432 reviews
8. Re: Suggestions for what to do

Some good suggestions already. I'll throw in considering the Mission San Juan Capistrano, built in 1776. Too many people think California's history started in the 1840's and don't realize we have cities like San Juan that are 250+ years old.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,662 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Suggestions for what to do

If you get over to San Juan Capistrano, check out the Los Rios Historic District.

Reply to: Suggestions for what to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted