We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carmel to Cambria

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
728 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Carmel to Cambria

Hi

We intend to take a leisurely drive from Carmel to Cambria stopping off at Hearst Castle en route.Can anyone suggest other places worth stopping at on the way?

Many thanks for any ideas-always much appreciated

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carmel to Cambria

That's the route through Big Sur, which is one of the most scenic drives in the US, if not the world. You didn't say how much time you have; this can easily be done in a day, but my ideal trip would involve staying at least one or two nights in Big Sur itself.

This Big Sur goList may give some ideas of places to visit.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i14592-Big_Sur_…

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carmel to Cambria

scooterboss's GoList is excellent. A few other places to check out on the drive down is Salmon Creek falls a few miles south of Gorda. It's located along one of Hwy 1's hairpin turns where a waterfall is visable from the road. There's a short trail up to the waterfall and the canyon location is very pretty.

Ragged Point is a few miles south of Salmon Creek and is the last of the Big Sur views you'll have from high up on the bluffs. There's a restroom, mini mart, gas & restaurant on-site, but the property has a nice amount of room to stretch your legs and walk out toward the views.

The elephant seal rookery is another place to check out. Located approx. 5 miles south of Ragged Point, you will see tons (pun intended) of seals laying out on the beach soaking up some rays. There is designated parking, local docents to answer questions and it's fenced to protect the animals from human intrusion. If it's a clear day, you can even see Hearst Castle perched on its hill from here.

Level Contributor
34,746 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carmel to Cambria

Piedras Blancas is a great suggestion to see the elephant seals, I have some photos posted on this site when we saw them. If you want somewhere nice for lunch in the Big Sur area, Cielo at the Ventana Inn & Spa has excellent food and views that are totally awesome from their outdoor patio.

Enjoy the coast! :)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carmel to Cambria

Hi

We are fellow Brits now living in California.We did this trip in reverse last July. We had our dog with us and had a great time. Carmel is one of the most pet friendly places you could find. Our mini schnauzer, Maisie, loves to run leash free on the beach, she loves the tidepools at the southern end of the Beach. We eat at Forge in the Forest where the food is great and they have a special doggie patio. We stayed at the Hosfas House, it was

good value for being within walking distance of the town's attractions. And they did a better than average continental breakfast. Don't forget to check out the Mission whilst in Carmel it's very interesting. The journey south to Cambria takes you through some spectacular coastal scenery, some of which reminds me of Cornwall. There are lots of place to stop and take photos or just admire the scenery. I don't remeber much in the way of places to eat or to stay apart from at Big Sur.

One of the stops we made was at Pfeiffer Beach, just south of Big Sur. It was beautiful, lots of natural arches and sea caves. Another stop was at Sand Dollar Picnic Area where we hiked down to the beach.

We stopped for a coffee break at Ragged Point, it was a beautiful spot and the accomodation looked great although the restaurant looked more like a diner than a fine restauant and there was a bit of a tacky tourist feel to the place.

Just north of San Simeon we stopped to view the elephant seals, I'm not sure if they are there year round. They were very entertaining if a bit smelly. Hearst Castle is amazing, We left Maisie for the day at the Tail Wag's Inn in Cambria, whilst we took the basic tour, I would love to get back sometime to take one of the other tours.

Cambria is a cute little seaside village. With plenty of places to eat. We stayed at the Cambria Pines lodge, which has very mixed reviews on this site. We loved it! Our room was one of the older fireside cabins, probably that's where they allow dogs. It was a bit run down and not as clean as it could have been. However the place was lovely, we had breakfast in a flower filled garden each morning. In the evening we ate on the patio in what I can only describe as a grotto, Maisie was allowed in there with us. After, we had a drink in the bar and listened to some local musicians, it was great. Even if you don't stay here go and check out the gardens they are lovely. Coming from the UK you are used to great gardens but these are some of the best I have seen here.

Wow I seem to have written quite a missive. Hope you have a wonderful holiday. Enjoy California.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
728 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carmel to Cambria

Thanks ever so much for your excellent suggestions.Looks like we won't be short of things to do!

6. Re: Carmel to Cambria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 16:20