We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Carlsbad

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
New to Carlsbad

My husband and I are from the east coast and have been wanting to visit southern California. We are thinking about making it a family vacation and are now looking into renting a house in Carlsbad, on the beach for ourselves, our two grown daughters, their husbands, and our granddaughter who will be 2 at the time. Looking into early next September. Any, and all, comments, opinions, and recommendations would be appreciated, as we are not at all familiar with the area. Looking to relax at the beach, have some nice meals, a few days of activities. Is this a good choice of area for this type of trip?

Go San Diego Card
74 Reviews
from USD 94.00*
Special Offer
Go Los Angeles Card
128 Reviews
from USD 84.00*
USD 89.00
Carlsbad Village Food and Walking Tour
83 Reviews
from USD 59.00*
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
59,352 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: New to Carlsbad

Carlsbad is a great suburb of San Diego with some very good beaches and restaurants and for shoppers an outlet mall. It is about 45 minutes or so from San Diego and about an hour from Orange County beaches. If the idea is to spend time and see that area then it is a nice place to stay. If one wants to go to La then it is a pain with traffic for a day trip and going back and forth to say Santa Monica would not be fun.

with 2 year olds Legoland will be nice as will the beach and the SD Zoo.

Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: New to Carlsbad

With all due respect to the first person who replied ... please ignore the comment about the outlet mall. Anyone who comes to Carlsbad for the outlet mall really ought to rethink their vacation. First, it's an outlet mall. Second, it is not a good outlet mall - the prices are nothing special and the merchandise is typically lesser quality and made specifically for the outlet stores. Third, with the downtowns of Carlsbad, Leucadia, Encinitas, Cardiff, Solana Beach, and Del Mar close-by you can do plenty of shopping without seeing the same chains you'd see at home.

Carlsbad is an excellent city. The beaches are outstanding, the downtown is nice with lots of places to eat/drink. Between arirbnb and vrbo you shouldn't have any trouble finding a house to rent close to the beach.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,185 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: New to Carlsbad

I agree that Carlsbad is a perfectly fine beach town where your family can enjoy time at the beach and then drive to other activities in the surrounding area. There are many things to see/do in San Diego itself and in other parts of San Diego County which offers mts. and desert in addition to the beaches.

I don't think that belo was pushing the outlet mall idea but was just pointing out that it exists.

There are of course other local stores where one can shop.

Most of us don't go to any of the outlet malls as most are as described in post #2.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
593 reviews
4. Re: New to Carlsbad

Barbara McLain Properties in Carlsbad is a property manager/ rental agent that we have used. Starting in Sept, many beachfront properties are monthly rentals, but there are probably some that still do weekly rentals. Sept is the best month in Carlsbad

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
58 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: New to Carlsbad

Thank you for all your replies. I have already found a house on the beach that I love. Looks like I will be going ahead with this trip!

6. Re: New to Carlsbad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2016, 14:17