We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days in Southern California

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
9 days in Southern California

My wife and I are flying in and out of LOS Angeles, with 9 days in between to spend in Southern California. We have been to LA a few times and done most of the tourist stuff. So we are planning a beach vacation, i.e Carlsbad, San Diego then back to LA to fly back to UK.

Need ideas on where and how to spend 8 days e.g 3 days in Carlsbad, 3 days in San Diego and 2 days in LA.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
California
California
United States
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Special Offer
Go Los Angeles Card
123 Reviews
from USD 84.00*
USD 89.00
Go San Diego Card
74 Reviews
from USD 89.00*
LEGOLAND® California
23 Reviews
from USD 99.99*
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days in Southern California

Hi Femipee !

In order to give you ideas it would help to have some additional information.

1) When is this trip? There may be special events, fairs, farmers markets, etc.

2) It would help to know what you've seen & done so people aren't throwing out ideas only to have you say "been there, done that."

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days in Southern California

Hello, My trip is from the 1st to the 9th of August. Arrive in LA 5PM

Kind regards

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days in Southern California

We have done DISNEY, walk of fame, universal studios in 2008, been on the tour to the CELEBRITIES Houses.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,686 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days in Southern California

Seeing as you've spent some time in LA already, perhaps spend those last two nights in Manhattan Beach. It's closer to LAX, a really nice beach town, and a fine place to relax before returning home. While there, check out the South Coast Botanical Garden. It was built over an old landfill and is a beautiful garden that generally has a nice ocean breeze as well. You could make a day trip to Long Beach from there to see the Aquarium of the Pacific and/or Queen Mary, or go on a nice drive to Palos Verdes Peninsula, have lunch at Terranea Resort and walk down to the cove and tidepool area there.

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,269 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Aquarium of the Pacific
Aquarium of the Pacific
2,780 Reviews
Long Beach, CA
The Queen Mary
The Queen Mary
7,037 Reviews
Long Beach, CA
Terranea Resort
Terranea Resort
4,085 Reviews
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,755 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days in Southern California

Will you have a car for your trip? Carlsbad is only about 45min. by car from some of the sights in the city of San Diego. You could easily stay in one place without changing hotels.

San Diego is not a city like you may imagine. It has many beaches and areas that will feel suburban/village-like.

You don't mention your interests or who is in your travel group??

Some folks want to be very active even for their beach time so we suggest surf lessons or sea kayaking or even a game of volleyball on the sand.

There are places to hike /bike within the city . There are historical sights,parks,museums, theater, music scenic beauty so many many different possibilities!

What is it that you'd enjoy????

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Carlsbad, CA
Destination Expert
for Carlsbad
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days in Southern California

Some people take vacations and don't feel good unless they are doing something. Other people take vacations and don't feel good unless they are relaxing.

In August the weather will be wonderful ... relaxing at the beach and reading a good book followed by a nice nap at your oceanfront hotel followed by happy hour in the village sounds wonderful to me.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,152 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 days in Southern California

I would stay 6 nights in Carlsbad and go to SD on day trips. August is usually a great month there - I'll be there

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 days in Southern California

Hi, many thanks for your tips, my plan was to spend the 1st 2 nights in LA to get over the jet lag from UK. Then 3 nights in Del Mar, a further 3 nights in the Gas lamp area in San Diego. Someone suggested spending all 6 days in Carlsbad, don't want to get bored if in the same place, but we are quite flexible. Don't want to do much driving and would like to visit bars, restaurants not too far from hotel. Its supposed to be more of relaxing than activity vacation, though would definitely visit places worth seeing eg see more of San Diego. Is it worth crossing the border in to Mexico?

Mentioned in this post
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Diego...
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 days in Southern California

You might enjoy a little trip over to Catalina. It's a small Island 26 miles from LA. It is very relaxing, so much so that the residents drive little golf carts and you pretty much just walk everywhere. Avalon is a small city, but definitely worth checking out if you have time.

Regarding crossing the border, I would advise against that. Not a whole lot to see unless you drive way down the baja peninsula. It's just kind of sad and unsafe, plus the lines to get back in are really long sometimes. The food is amazing, but being so close to the border, we have tons of great Mexican food in San Diego. Hope you have a wonderful stay!

Mentioned in this post
Avalon
Avalon
Catalina Island, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 days in Southern California

Check out the Coaster train between Oceanside and San Diego. It is very convenient and stops at beach towns on the way to SD. Depart and walk or take a cab to explore the towns along the way. Driving and parking in SoCal is not a lot of fun especially if drinks, food, and sightseeing are the goals of your daytripping. The Beach Terrace Inn in Carlsbad is a 5 minute walk to the train station and is on the beach. You could use this as your base and take the train when you feel like it. Have fun in the California sun and surf.

Mentioned in this post
COASTER
COASTER
638 Reviews
Oceanside, CA
Oceanside
Oceanside
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Beach Terrace Inn