We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Negro tubing at Hacienda Guachepelin

Montreal, Canada
1 post
1 review
River Negro tubing at Hacienda Guachepelin

This was my first experience with tubing. The hotel's site says , and I quote, 'our special river tube rafts ... with protective bottoms...guides go with you and ensure your safety.'

My daughter and I were the only tubers at 1:30, February 3rd so we each had our own guide. The protective bottom is a piece of canvas (unpadded). My tube hit a submerged rock three times and the last time really hurt! I came out with a bruised tailbone which will take weeks or months to heal; I can barely lift myself off a seat.

My guide said that that morning, about 7 people had flipped off their tube and into the river.

I caution all readers against this activity.

3 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,958 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: River Negro tubing at Hacienda Guachepelin

Thanks for the heads up.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,462 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: River Negro tubing at Hacienda Guachepelin

Feel better soon! If you need medical treatment, check if your travel emergency medical insurance covers such activity. Some policies exclude adventure activities. Hopefully, you won't have to alter the rest of your vacation plans now (?).

We spoke to a tourist in Manuel Antonio area in a similar situation. He had done "river float" the day before, chosen because he was described a calm "float", he did not want rafting type adventures. He told us he had been so bashed on the rocks, it was anything BUT "float". He was very unhappy.

Did you book the tour through the hotel? I have seen what you mean in their tour description and promising to "ensure your safety"- https:/…rio-negro-tubing-adventure.html .

What did they say to you afterwards?

Edited: 19 February 2018, 12:03
A nice place
Level Contributor
935 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: River Negro tubing at Hacienda Guachepelin

I always wanted to do this tour with friends and family. Reading this might have changed my mind. Thanks for the input!

Reply to: River Negro tubing at Hacienda Guachepelin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted