We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hearst Castle: 170 stairs?

SoCal
Level Contributor
465 posts
41 reviews
Hearst Castle: 170 stairs?

Planning to tour Hearst Castle during our upcoming two-day visit to Cambria. I am moderately stair-challeneged, so I'm trying to get a sense of what the stair situation is there.

The site mentions 170 stairs - can anyone tell me how many of them present at a given time, and how steep they are? Also, I see mention of a bus and am wondering how steep the entry steps are to that.

I understand that they offer an accessible tour but if possible, I'd rather do the regular one - it just all depends on how serious and steep the steps are.

Thanks

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Hearst Castle: 170 stairs?

I don't recall it being particularly arduous and I don't think all the stairs are in one place, nor do I recall the bus boarding (all tours start by boarding a bus) being unusually difficult. However, if you are concerned even about boarding a bus, perhaps you should consider the accessible tour which covers about the same things as Tour 1 but avoids stairs.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,179 posts
6,438 reviews
2. Re: Hearst Castle: 170 stairs?

There are stairs - there is climbing....if you are comfortable walking up 2 to 3 flights of stairs at a given time in a building - normal stair size - you will be fine with Hearst Castle. If however, this presents a challenge to you, then the accessible tour is fine. (Note: The accessible tour, drives you to the door of the Castle (versus having you have to take the stairs up from the bus.) You do miss a little bit of the outside area - but the tour of the Castle is the same.

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
658 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Hearst Castle: 170 stairs?

The majority of the stairs were in the outside area and you certainly werent doing them all at once. You would do a set, walk, talk, stop and look before the next ones.

The outside stairs didn't seem too steep, but then easy to say that when you have no problems with stairs! I do remember that there was rails at each of the sets of stairs so that would give something to hold on to.

Orange, California
Level Contributor
418 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Hearst Castle: 170 stairs?

I don't remember alot of stairs, there is light hill climbing, and the bus stairs are easy. It is a geat time, and I think for the first tour we climb about 30-50 stairs the whole tour. Enjoy your time.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,179 posts
6,438 reviews
5. Re: Hearst Castle: 170 stairs?

I think the last poster forgets....we did take the tour and the 170 stairs is real and Hearst Castle would not say so, unless it was. They are a first rate place in terms of taking care of their visitors......

SoCal
Level Contributor
465 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Hearst Castle: 170 stairs?

Thanks for the replies. I ended up speaking with a HC representative by phone and she said that the most significant stairs are at the beginning but that they are "long and flowing" in response to my question as to how steep they are, which leads me to believe that they aren't too steep.

She also said that the bus "kneels". I'm posting this information in case other stair-challenged people happen upon it - in general, it's not easy to find accessibility information, so I'll try to remember to post again after we've had our tour.

7. Re: Hearst Castle: 170 stairs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Cambria