We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

SoCal
Level Contributor
465 posts
41 reviews
Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

I posted here awhile back trying to figure out where the nicest place to stay in Cambria area would be. That trip didn't materialize, but now we're going for sure in October.

I've pored over the web sites of all the places I've seen recommended on this site but am having a hard time getting a sense of which is the nicest, as in most "luxurious" rooms. Just looked at the Pelican Cove web site and their rooms looked nicer than the Blue Whale but Blue Whale seems to be mentioned a lot more. The Best Western Cavalier gets a lot of note, too, but again, the rooms looked "motel-ish".

Love the idea of an ocean view, but would consider a different setting if the property is significantly nicer. The rooms on the Cambria Pines Lodge web site looked a bit dated, though.

Which area property has the newest, nicest accommodations?

Level Contributor
39,020 posts
1,014 reviews
1. Re: Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

The Pelican Cove Inn rooms are pretty, this property also offers a dessert buffet in the evening, complimentary breakfast and wine and cheese reception in the evening. Blue Whale Inn rooms are a bit more frilly with canopy beds, flowered duvets and wallpaper. There really isn't any luxury lodging in Cambria, the Moonstone Landing has been getting a lot of good press on this site, this is probably where we will stay our next visit to Cambria. The Cambria Pines Lodge looked like a very nice property when we looked around there, you will have to drive to get to the ocean from here, tho. Any further questions, feel free to ask! :)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
22,061 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

Moonstone Landing is the closest you're going to find for "newest, nicest accommodations" for modern, contemporary decor in Cambria.

The upscale El Colibri is scheduled for a late '08 opening, but the location is questionable.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
180 posts
809 reviews
3. Re: Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

We have stayed at three of the Moonstone Hotels. Pelican and Sea Otter were on the beach and very nice but certainly not luxurious. Pine Lodge we liked but again not luxurious.

http://www.moonstonehotels.com/

Consider SummerWood Winery and Inn

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32861-d531047-…

And also consider La Bellasera

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32861-d609703-…

SoCal
Level Contributor
465 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

Thanks for the info.

Syrahgirl - can you elaborate on why you're choosing Moonstone Landing over the other options?

Level Contributor
39,020 posts
1,014 reviews
5. Re: Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

I like to try new places, the property looked very nice when I went in to inquire about rooms last time we were in Cambria. The Summerwood Inn prevoiusly mentioned is in nearby Paso Robles, there is a tasting room adjacent to the Summerwood Inn, we love the Merlot here. :)

SoCal
Level Contributor
465 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

Thanks again. Made a reservation at Moonstone Landing. Thanks for the steer.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
188 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

You will love Moonstone Landing. I have stayed there quite a few times. The Ocean front rooms are great - especially the ones upstairs. You get the wonderful ocean sounds and a fantastic view. Bring a warm coat, sweater, (or blanket) to sit out on the balcony in the evening with a glass of wine. The rooms are very comfortable and they have very nice bathrooms. Also, The Sea Chest restaurant is right next door and it is a great choice for seafood. No worry about having a few glasses of wine and driving. Hope you have a great time.

Level Contributor
39,020 posts
1,014 reviews
8. Re: Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

The Sea Chest is very good, they do not accept reservations or credit cards here, just a heads-up on that. Moonstone Landing sounds wonderful, how is the breakfast buffet there? :)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
188 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

Hi Syrahgirl-

It is a great place. I think they have the best location on Moonstone Beach. In fact the ocean sounds can be really loud if you have the sliding doors open. The breakfast is usually fruit, muffins, toast and pastry type items. They also have juice, coffee, and tea. I don’t recall them ever being set up for warm items, except heating up pastries. The evening spread is usually pretty good – a variety of appetizer items, but no wine. I like to save my appetite for Robin’s, the Sea Chest or one of the other great restaurants in town, so I don’t depend too much on the food, but is nicely done!

Level Contributor
39,020 posts
1,014 reviews
10. Re: Pelican Cove? Blue Whale? Are these the best options?

Thanks, sounds good! :)

Get answers to your questions about Cambria