We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange rate

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
exchange rate

Can anybody please tell me the exchange rate please?

6 replies to this topic
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: exchange rate

See www.xe.com

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
2. Re: exchange rate

That is a very open question.

Firstly.Exchange rate between ZAR ( one assumes) and which currencies?.. British pound, Euro, US Dollar.. Swiss Franc, etc etc.?

One assumes British pound, but it may not necessarily be so.

A bit more specificity will help.

Secondly, the exchange rate varies from day to day, indeed, from hour to hour, so a Google search would be useful for the ruling exchange rate at any specific time

Edited: 29 September 2015, 16:01
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
48 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: exchange rate

What I've been doing: Google 'ZAR to USD' (for the exchange rate to the dollar), to 'ZAR to GBP' (to the pound), etc. It'll be the most current exchange rate. It's fluctuating rapidly.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
66 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: exchange rate

So the exchange rate I'll get on google or XE or any site at that moment (right now 1 US$ = 13,97 ZAR$) is the same rate I´ll get exchanging ( dollars cash for instance) at an exchange bureau at Cape Town or Johannesburg ?

I believe that these places usually charge a fee or use a different rate.

I mean exchanging cash and not to expenses made by credit card or debit or withdraw at ATMs.

Am I wrong?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
5. Re: exchange rate

"So the exchange rate I'll get on google or XE or any site at that moment (right now 1 US$ = 13,97 ZAR$) is the same rate I´ll get exchanging ( dollars cash for instance) at an exchange bureau at Cape Town or Johannesburg ?"

Theoretically, yes, the exchange rate is the same, anywhere in the world, at any one time.

But, you'll not get the exact amount, according to the exchange rate on the day, and YES, Bureaux de Change and banks do charge you for doing this!

Bureaux de Change, and banks charge you for the service.

Also, different banks seem to have rates that differ slightly from the official rate, as well as different rates according to whether they are buying, or selling.

I recently had to change some dollars to ZAR.

I changed $100.00 at the prevailing rate on the day, of 13.5538.

This should have worked out to ZAR1355.38.

However, I was charged ZAR72.00 commission, PLUS VAT at 14%, PLUS a so called administration fee of another ZAR72.00.

I ended up getting ZAR 1191.30.

It is far better to draw ZAR from an ATM, using a cash/cheque card (Not a credit card).

You will get the exact amount of Rands you want to draw.

You are effectively drawing your own money, but in ZAR, not $$

The only charges will be by your bank, for the withdrawal.

I believe some banks/card companies do not charge for this service

Be sure and inform your bank/card company before you leave home, that you'll be using your card in SA.

Also, if you exchange money at a bank/bureau de change, you will need to show your passport

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
66 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: exchange rate

Thank you Gavin S,

I had forgotten VAT.

For us Brazilians, to exchange Reais for any currency in cash we have to pay 0.38% of government tax.

Any international spent on any type of card ( credit, debit or travel card ) is rated at 6.38%... Plus the bank fee for withdraw abroad, Plus the ATM fee...

And all international exchange transaction made by credit card or debit card in any currency is converted into Dollar and them to Reais. So more conversions = more expensive...

Reply to: exchange rate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Randburg
Recent Conversations