We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

Hello,

I've been in Cabarete many times for last 10 years and from my experience the WiFi at most hotels and bars/restaurants is crappy, unreliable and slow.

This time I have to do some work and need a more stable connection. Is there any local mobile plans (with SIM cards) that offer decent internet speed for reasonable prices? I'm thinking to bring my old iphone and tether my Mac to it.

Thanks a lot for any advice,

Alex

18 replies to this topic
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,448 posts
288 reviews
1. Re: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

Hotels have crappy internet because that's what we get in the island, especially in the North Coast. I can tell you that we have been with very intermittent signal from our Internet company since last night now. Nothing we can do about it, except for calling them up and complaining.

Wi Fi signals are weak because the signal has to travel through brick walls. If you ask in your hotel where the router or access point is located and you position yourself properly, you shouldn't have a problem with the Wi Fi signal.

For an alternative, you can buy Orange for your mobile device (3G in this area) assumming it is unlocked, or an Orange USB modem for your laptop. It would help when your hotel internet is not available but won't provide you with the high-speed Internet I believe you're looking for.

Silvia

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

Silvia, thanks! The hotel internet is crap because they do not care - people do not come to Cabarete for work ;)

That's why I'm exploring mobile options. Looks like Claro may have 4G/LTE coverage there …claro.com.do/cobertura/cobertura.aspx…

Do you know by any chance how reliable it is?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,448 posts
288 reviews
3. Re: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

No, I'm afraid I don't know. I use Orange because they've always been GMS. Claro used to be CDMA.

Sorry but hotels do care. In this day and age it is the most important amenity we can offer to our customers. I know that most hoteliers in this area realize that, but there is nothing we can do yet. We don't even have fiber optic here.

There are plenty of travelers in Cabarete who also work while traveling. One thing to keep in mind though is that most people travel with their phones and phones don't pick up Wi-Fi signal as strong as a laptop does.

Everyone needs to be connected, including us, hoteliers. Otherwise how do you think we manage to keep busy, deal with online booking sites, manage reservations, and social media?

Silvia

Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
4. Re: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

I am currently at the Ultravioleta in Cabarete.

Download speed is 10Mbps ,upload speed is 0.95Mps.(speedtest.net)

So ,it's more than fine at least at this time of the day.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

Thanks for the info.

Edited: 26 April 2016, 03:13
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

I've returned from 2 weeks trip to Cabarete. Nothing really changed with the internet - WiFi is still crap in most places (glad to hear that Ultraviolet is an exception).

I had to work from there, so my solution was to buy a local data SIM card for my mobile WiFi hotspot. Claro website claims LTE availability in Cabarete, but local offices sell only 3G data plans. Still, it's only ~$20 for 5G data and quite reliable in most places.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,448 posts
288 reviews
7. Re: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

"Nothing really changed with the internet - WiFi is still crap in most places (glad to hear that Ultraviolet is an exception)."

Probably it isn't. Most hotels here have 10mb Internet. It's affordable. Unfortunately, the company that provides it, Codetel/Claro suck. No matter what router and access points you get (that obviously affect wi fi signal, not just the speed of the broadband), still they drop their signal so often and always always claim the problem in your side never theirs. We're going through one of this spells right now. The worse headache as you can imagine we're on the web pretty much 18 hours a day and so are our customers.

One of the issues that's relevant to good wireless internet is the fact that most buildings are wired for broadband at one or two spots. The signal then goes through an access point. Access points have a hard time sending signal across concrete walls.

So if you find a building that provides an access point to each unit, you're definitely going to get better Internet, but never 100% reliable.

Silvia

8. Re: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2018, 00:04

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,448 posts
288 reviews
9. Re: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

Efra,

TripAdvisor does NOT allow advertising on its forums.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?

Just realised that this is an old thread that's been resurrected!

When I was in Cabarete in January, the internet appeared to be much more stable than in previous years, so anyone reading this thread now, note it was started in 2015. Things are not perfect but in my experience, have improved over the last couple of years.

Also, bear in mind, if using a public wi-fi, your data isn't safe. If you are working/banking etc, then a VPN is a good idea. But a VPN on a slow network will massively impact upon your speed.

Edited: 09 April 2017, 20:55
Reply to: Any high-speed mobile internet options in Cabarete?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete
Recent Conversations