We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What exactly is involved in kitesurfing lessons?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
What exactly is involved in kitesurfing lessons?

I have researched the forum and find many different answers as to how long it would take to actually learn to kite surf. To better be able to figure this out, it would be really helpful if I knew what exactly was involved in learning. How long is spent in a classroom, how many hours are typically dedicated to learning on the water with an instructor, etc. I know it would vary by school, but I am just looking for a very general idea of what is involved. Thanks.

1. Re: What exactly is involved in kitesurfing lessons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 May 2010, 22:13
Cabarete
Level Contributor
62 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: What exactly is involved in kitesurfing lessons?

Hola Crazytraveler!

Cabarete is wonderful place to learn to kite surf, as well as windsurf, surf, and SUP! Cabarete has been one of the pioneering meccas of the sport since 2001. We are also the home of the IKO, the International Kiteboarding Organization. We have several world class Kiteboarding schools with fully qualified IKO instructors. http://www.ikointl.com Cabarete is also a stop on the PKRA World Cup Tour. It doesn't get much better than that.

Make sure you choose an IKO certified school with certified instructors.

A beginner course will generally consist of 9 hours of instruction over a 3 day period. Day 1 will usually consist of theory, safety and learning to fly the kite on the beach. Day 2 will consist of learning to body drag with the kite in the water and learning to body drag upwind. Day 3 will consist of learning to get up on to your board and beginning to ride.

This is a general idea of what a course will consist of. If you are very talented, you may move through some stages faster. If you are having trouble, you may want to stick with say body dragging a bit longer until you feel comfortable with the kite. You will be with a qualified instructor the entire 9 hours.

As for the previous comment, we have very good medical facilities here. Within Cabarete there are 2 small medical clinics equipped with doctors and all the necessary first aid equipment. 10 minutes from Cabarete there is a fully equipped hospital with all of the medical equipment and doctors you would possibly need. They also have an ambulance! Thankfully your IKO qualified instructors put safety first, are first aid certified and will use the safest gear possible to ensure that you will get the most out of your lessons.

So no worries, your instructors will be great, and our hospitals and clinics are more than competent. Cabarete is a wonderful place. Come and check it out!

If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Michelle

Cabarete, DR
Level Contributor
223 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: What exactly is involved in kitesurfing lessons?

Greetings to the TA community!

@ Crazy Traveler:

Please note that all of your kitesurf training is practical, none in the classroom. Michelle is 100% right in that the amount of time varies from person to person. We never put a time limit on completion of the stages, you are always moved through the course as fast as you can go.

Also one very important misconception I want to clear up right now:

Kiteboarding does not require upper body strength.

We have children as young as 8 years old kitesurfing, and their upper body strength is limited. This is a finesse sport, it's all in the precise control of the kite, which I can fly with my fingertips only (thanks to the harness and practice!)

A quick note about the medical care, 90 minutes from Cabarete is HOMS Hospital in Santiago. I have a direct experience with this facility, my best friend gave birth to her son there last summer. It is one of the nicest hospitals I have ever seen ANYWHERE ( I come from a family of doctors, and have lived in many countries over the past 12 years and seen many medical facilties in foreign nations that scared me silly).

To me living in Cabarete is like living anywhere in a rural countryside area, we are a little bit further from someone like my sister who lives and works in Baylor Medical Center, but the quality of life in Cabarete is much better and we focus on staying safe. If there was a worst case scenario accident I am confident that good treatment is available.

One final note regarding safety and learning kiting. We have come a LONG way since I learned in 2000. The newest IKO methods which use short lines and therefore no power to be dragged down the beach or lofted in the air have transformed the learning of our sport into a very safe activity.

Thanks for allowing me to add my perspective and as always feel free to contact me with any questions.

Windy regards!

Laurel

4. Re: What exactly is involved in kitesurfing lessons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete
Recent Conversations