We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabarete crowd

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cabarete crowd

I have read that Cabarete attracts more Europeans than other places along the North coast, why is this?

What type of crowd is it at Cabarete? Is it singles looking for 'fun' or more suited to families with children?

When is the best night of the week to visit?

Mentioned in this post
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
10 replies to this topic
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabarete crowd

Nope, mixed, weekends.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabarete crowd

RV a man of few words but he is correct.

BObK

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,943 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabarete crowd

"When is the best night of the week to visit?"

For beach time, I would say to avoid Sundays. For party time? Depends on what type of music you like.

I'm not so certain that Cabarete attracts more Europeans in the north coast. What it is true is that you're more likely to find a wider variety of European expats.

Edited: 26 March 2018, 07:16
Mentioned in this post
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
Cabarete, Puerto...
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabarete crowd

Cabarete is traditionally a European destination, probably just because Americans don’t travel as much abroad. But these days lots of North Americans and other people from all over the world.

Cabarete is full of all ages and marriage statuses. There are also tons of families. So, like already mentioned, Cabarete is a big fat mix of everything. Probably the coolest part about Cabarete.

Monday is karaoke night at Voy Voy, Thursday is Salsa Night at LAX/Ojo and Saturday is generally party night.

Mentioned in this post
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabarete crowd

thank you

Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabarete crowd

When I'm sitting at the Belgium Bakery for breafast or at Rocky's Aqua (former Jose O'Shay's) I hear more Americans/Canadians then anything else. Cabarete is not dominated by Europeans, it is a mix.

Mentioned in this post
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,943 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabarete crowd

Agree, RV. It used to be a European destination. When we first came in January 2006, about 99% of the people we saw and talked to where Europeans, lots of Germans. French speakers were mostly from Quebec. We only met one American and that's because someone who heard we are Americans took us to his apartment to introduce us.

Fast forward to late 2007-2008, mostly North American tourists. Still, with expats (lots from Europe), it remains a very cosmopolitan town.

Edited: 27 March 2018, 04:14
Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabarete crowd

As others have said, a decade ago, it was more European than North American. And of North America, most were Canadians. Lots of Germans with Brits second, then a few French & Spanish. Unfortunately, the European market collapsed. The German economic downturn led to a drop in German tourists. Once their economy levelled out, people had found other places to go. From the UK, there were four flights a week from Manchester, four from Gatwick and we've also had flights out of Birmingham, Bristol & Newcastle. After October this year, there won't be any flights from the UK. Sadly, I think we'll be lucky to have three flights a week from all of Europe by the end of the year :-( But don't worry, the Americans that you meet are the types who own a passport, so they're okay!

****THAT'S A JOKE BEFORE I UPSET ANYONE**** :-)

As for 'what crowd' question, it is still a broad mix. Younger kite surfer types but also older retired folk. And a fair few middle aged types. Families are less common, certainly less families with small children.

Go soon, while you can still get there easily.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabarete crowd

So Keith, as with Europe, back in the day there were more than a dozen daily flights from the U.S. to POP, now less than a handful. STI has taken up slack because of lower fares but still the area needs more flights for sure.

london, ontario
Level Contributor
109 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabarete crowd

Totally cool mix for everyone

Wednesday 2/1 pizza and Chabola and open mic

Reply to: Cabarete crowd
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted