We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabarate to Santa Barbara De Samana Distance

Dallas
Level Contributor
147 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Cabarate to Santa Barbara De Samana Distance

hello. I am beginning to plan a trip to the DR. This will be our first visit. I am interested in staying in Cabarate at Natura Cabanas, followed by a week at Dominican Tree House Village in the Samana Province. Can anyone tell me the distance between the two areas and if there is transportation available for hire? Is this a feasible plan? Both areas look beautiful and I am very enticed by the tree house village. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Dominican Tree House Village
Dominican Tree House...
399 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
6 replies to this topic
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,877 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabarate to Santa Barbara De Samana Distance

There's a bus going to Santa Barbara de Samana every day, passing through Cabarete at about 7:00-7:15am or so. You'll need to call them up when you get here to verify and let them know that you want them to stop on the Highway in front of Natura Cabanas. Otherwise, their main stop, to my knowledge is in front of Janet's supermarket, but they do stop in other places if you call them the day prior. It's a blue/purplish bus.

Transportes Papagayo 1-829-376-8346 or 1-809-749-6415

From the city, you'll probably need to take a cab to the hotel. According to the resort website "catching a taxi from Samana to take you to the treehouse roughly 25 minutes away ($25-30 USD).

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
312 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabarate to Santa Barbara De Samana Distance

Its probably about a three and a half hour drive. It is very picturesque! (four hours or so from POP)

The bus taxi thing... I am not sure if it would be an easy feasible option as mentioned above, just from a timing standpoint. it passes the highway pretty early in the morning, and it is a long haul out to the road from the Cabanas. I would hope someone at the resort would drive you to the highway, or even into Janet's. But you would need to up and out the door by 6:00am

A better option might be is to ask at both resorts if they could arrange transport, it would be door to door, somewhere between $150-$200 would be a fair guess. A relaxed departure after breakfast, maybe you can talk the driver into stopping for some fried fish for lunch at the side of the road by Rio San Juan.

And I am guessing you are flying into Puerto Plata, Somewhere close to $40 from the airport to Natura Cabanas I would think, I doubt it would be more.

Then your transfer back to the airport... Depending on the length of your flight and your arrival/departure times, Maybe look at Samana first, Then it is an easy 30 minutes to POP from nature Cabanas on the last day.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,877 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabarate to Santa Barbara De Samana Distance

The exact published airport cab fare is $35 from POP to Cabarete center. It should be the same to Natura Cabanas.

The Samana bus leaves Puerto Plata at 6:30am from the city of Puerto Plata, which not less than a 40-45 minutes ride. So no need to be out the door at 6:00am, unless you need an hour to reach the highway on foot.

I agree, however, that if you can afford a private driver, that will much better than taking the bus. Because cabbies here carry proper license and insurance, I’d recommend you take a cab from Taxi Sosua-Cabarete. I can recommend a few who speak English. As to the fare, it’d be around $160-170 one way. From POP, published fare to Samana is $200 one way.

Mentioned in this post
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic
Sosua
Sosua
Dominican Republic
Dallas
Level Contributor
147 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabarate to Santa Barbara De Samana Distance

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. A hired driver or taxi sounds like a better option than taking the bus. Logistics don't bother me too much, as we are headed to Bocas Del Toro in September for 3 weeks and that trip took alot of logistical planning! I am deciding between DR and The Corn Islands in Nicaragua for next summer. So, lots to think about!

Mentioned in this post
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,877 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabarate to Santa Barbara De Samana Distance

You're welcome ! If you decide on coming to the DR, let us know and we'll recommend a few good English-speaking drivers for your trip to Samana.

Mentioned in this post
Samana Province
Samana Province
Dominican Republic
london, ontario
Level Contributor
109 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabarate to Santa Barbara De Samana Distance

It’s a long drive but I’ve stayed at treehouse and so totally different to Cabarete love them both

Mentioned in this post
Cabarete
Cabarete
Dominican Republic
Reply to: Cabarate to Santa Barbara De Samana Distance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted