We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scooters

Hampton Bays, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
scooters

Is it possible to rent scooters in Cabarete? If so, is it safe?

18 replies to this topic
liverpool
Level Contributor
4,272 posts
109 reviews
11. Re: scooters

yes i ride a big bike. regardless i simply asked a price not a DR lecture, as an adult i can risk access i dont need keyboard mothers

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
356 posts
62 reviews
12. Re: scooters

As people said, its not super safe. But once you get there, you will see plenty of tourist and locals alike in scooters and motos. Take a look around and see if its something you are up to. I've had a lot of fun riding around.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
356 posts
62 reviews
13. Re: scooters

"yes i ride a big bike. regardless i simply asked a price not a DR lecture, as an adult i can risk access i dont need keyboard mothers"

I'm with you!! I despise these type of posters that instead of answering a question, they try to discourage you from doing something because of THEIR personal preference or because they are scared or physically unable to do something.

If it were up to some people here, the rental car and moto industry in the DR will not exist.

People should mention the risk, explain how crazy traffic is there and give a strong warning if you feel like it. But who the heck are you to tell me what I can and can't do on my vacation.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,261 posts
288 reviews
14. Re: scooters

"People should mention the risk, explain how crazy traffic is there and give a strong warning if you feel like it. But who the heck are you to tell me what I can and can't do on my vacation."

And who told anyone on this thread what he/she can't do on vacation??? I couldn't care less what people want to do or do not want to do, if they want to jump from

I will continuing saying that driving in this country isn't safe not worth the risk for visitors. You're a foreigner, even if you're not at fault, you are at fault. You want to risk ending up in a DR jail for a few days till a judge can determine who's at fault, please go ahead.

I can't reply to how much it costs to rent a motorcycle here. I have no clue. And I doubt anyone who responded to this thread who lives here knows.

Edited: 31 May 2018, 23:44
liverpool
Level Contributor
4,272 posts
109 reviews
15. Re: scooters

wow no DE knows the answer , and its been asked multiple times .

for any future enquiries [im not related to] www.easyrider-cabarete.com/eng . im sure there are others too on arrival .

as for the driving , on youtube videos it looks pretty civilized and i dont see what the fuss is about . but any TA thread always is the same ... "worst in the world" oooh scary . ive watched dozens of driving videos on DR , looks great .

ive also stubled accross this reckless adventure , please dont look DE's, it might make you wince on the sunbed lol facebook.com/Cabarete-Enduro-Tours-181537808… . cant wait . now sit back and enjoy the standard TA ''the your insurance wont cover you posts'' !!!

enjoy

have fun out there

Edited: 01 June 2018, 10:08
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
16. Re: scooters

Hi there,

There is also https://dominiseasysolution.com/ which is located across the street from Wyndham Tangerine resort, left to the gas station. Scooters start from USD25 (day) to USD14 (longer durations) - non-negotiated. Traffic looks just as crazy as in most Asian countries. So in case u feel comfortable driving there I don’t see any issue renting a bike here in the DR.

BR

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,261 posts
288 reviews
17. Re: scooters

My impression, maybe incorrect, from a trip to Thailand is that scooters do observe traffic signals and there is some order to the chaos, Here, the issue is that no one observes any rules of the road but their own, so you’re left to guess what the heck they are going to do.

Isle of Man
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
30 reviews
18. Re: scooters

"wow no DE knows the answer , and its been asked multiple times"

...because no DE's would ride a moped out there.

I live on the Isle of Man. Until becoming a wheelchair user, I rode bikes. Last bike was a Triumph 675. With no speed limit on the Isle of Man, I've seen 145mph on my speedo (don't get to look at it for long at that speed). I wouldn't (and never have) ridden a moped in Dom Rep because in my opinion, it is too dangerous.

The majority of people who ask this question don't ride back home, usually because they think riding a bike in the US/UK/Canada is "too dangerous". Oh the irony!

So I'm not apologising for pointing out that it is a dangerous thing to do, far more dangerous than in most places in the world. I'd say it is more dangerous than Thailand and more like Vietnam, although the cops are more corrupt in Dom Rep and drink driving more prevalent.

If you think it is worth the risk, then great, crack on. At least having had this thread, people reading it can make a more informed choice. If you don't like that, tough.

So no need for the sarcasm. Enjoy your trip, have a safe, fun one.

PS I witnessed a double fatality in Vietnam when a moped went under a lorry.

PPS I once met a young woman staying at the same place in Cabarete. We chatted about the country generally and I warned her about mopeds. She ignored me and ended up on the pillion of a moped. Her thigh touched the exhaust and she ended up with a six inch long, third degree burn. I gave her first aid and packed her off to the doctor (I'm a Registered Nurse so know the dangers of ignoring a full thickness burn). She now has what is locally known as "a Dominican Tattoo".

Reply to: scooters
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete
Recent Conversations