We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabarete, DR

New York City, New...
2 posts
Cabarete, DR

Does anyone know if the town and beach in Cabarete, Puerta Playa was hit by Irma? Thank you.

J Rogers

13 replies to this topic
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,248 posts
288 reviews
1. Re: Cabarete, DR

We were spared by both Irma and Maria (aside from debris, a few down palm trees, some broken glass doors, etc.). Cabarete beach has been cleaned and all businesses are open since Friday/Saturday.

If you have Facebook, you can see that by yourself: photos posted by Iguana Mama Adventure Tours showing how Cabarete beach looks like now, after the hurricanes: https:/…10155244159744405

Edited: 25 September 2017, 23:03
New York City, New...
2 posts
2. Re: Cabarete, DR

Thanks for the update. I've been going to Cabarate since 2000. Although it saddens me to see all the new construction, I guess that's the price of success. Might have to find a more remote place - although not sure I could live without Janet's !!

Cabarete, Puerto...
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Cabarete, DR

Everything is all good! Come on down.

Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
4. Re: Cabarete, DR

Does anyone know how beach Imbert faired along with all the buildings directly on that beach? I hear that the the beach opposite to Infiniti blue resort has disappeared. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,248 posts
288 reviews
5. Re: Cabarete, DR

Never heard of that beach until you mentioned it in a different post. You said your parents rented in Residencial Hispaniola in Sosua (not Cabarete, which this thread is about) That's not on the beach. It's a few blocks up the hill on the other side of Highway 5. Closest beach is Sosua beach.

Yes, there was a comment on a newspaper of a newer beach (can't remember which one now) that had lost quite a bit of the sand area. But no one knows if that's permanent or it'll come back. It happens all the time.

Edited: 28 September 2017, 10:53
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,248 posts
288 reviews
6. Re: Cabarete, DR

Just to confirm, what I posted above about beach erosion, that was in Playa Alicia, and it was reported 4 days ago on a different site.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,225 posts
351 reviews
7. Re: Cabarete, DR

Yes it is Playa Alicia next to the Casa Marina hotel that lost about 50% or more of it's width. Hopefully it will build back up. Remember 12 years ago there was no beach there. Mother nature gives and takes away as she deems fit.

BObK

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Cabarete, DR

Hello, we have never been to this area. Any tips regarding airport to use from America, any bnb's, transportation, safety and beach conditions? Thanks, we are an older couple wanting to celebrate our retirement.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
9,474 posts
1 review
9. Re: Cabarete, DR

POP is closest. STI is second and usually much0 cheaper but with a $100 taxi ride vs. $35 for POP

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,225 posts
351 reviews
10. Re: Cabarete, DR

We fly in and out of both depending on airfare. Many times for the two of us cheaper to use STI (Santiago) even with the $100 cab fare.

As for places to rent look at the vacation rental tab on the top of the page as a good start.

Safety....use our normal common sense, don't flash money or jewels and you will be fine.

The beach is beautiful.

BObK

Reply to: Cabarete, DR
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cabarete
Recent Conversations