We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nanning to Hanoi

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nanning to Hanoi

Hi,

I see that buses go from two places in Nanning to Hanoi. Where is it best to get the bus from? Is there a bus stop in walking distance from the train station? If so,where is good to stay very close to train and bus station

Disneyland Paris...
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nanning to Hanoi

For anyone going by Bus from Nanning to Hanoi here are a few tips:

BUS INFORMATION:

In Nanning you can buy bus tickets to Hanoi at both the Langdong Bus station and the Langdong bus ticket office, both very near the Nanning train station. It's convenient if you are staying in that part of town. I have photo's I will attach if allowed with phone number, address, etc. It's all in Chinese and the staff speak limited, if any, English. The buses leave from the bus terminal. I stayed on Chaoyang road and walked to the bus station in 10 minutes.

Location of bus terminal: South You'Ai Road, number 4, in between Zhong Hua & Hua Dong Roads.

Location of ticket office: Hua Dong road, in between Chaoyang & Su Zhou roads, close to Chaoyang road.

All of these streets can be easily seen on Google maps by looking just below the Nanning train station.

VISA INFORMATION:

You can get your Vietnam visa at the Nanning consulate. It is a ways from the train station (where I stayed) and you can get there on bus number 6. I have some photo's of the stops if allowed to post. You take the bus to 民族金州路口 (in pinyin Min Zu Jin Zhou Lu Kou) stop. there is no Eng on the bus signs but you can watch the signs in the bus that show the station. Use the underpass to cross the street, head in the same direction as bus for a block. The consulate is in the Bank of China building. The entrance is on the side street around the back - 27th floor. Hours are 9-6. Drop off in the morning, pick up 2 days later in afternoon. Going back you take the same bus, the return stop is opposite from where you got off the bus but about a block back towards town. Good luck :)

THE TRIP TO HANOI

The journey is uneventful - but full of smoky smelling chinese men, just follow everyone else and you will complete all the processes on each side of the borders. The ride is quite pretty with karsts and scenic beauty. One important tip: When you go to get the new bus to Hanoi (one bus from Nanning to border, then change to another to Hanoi) be sure to ask about which station they go to in Hanoi. There are 3 stations in Hanoi. The Hong Ha (or Hong He as the Chinese say) is very close to the Old Quarter so try to get that one. I waited for about 45 minutes to catch the next bus so I would be near the Old Qtr and avoid any ripoffs, etc. Since it was my first trip to VN I was being careful. They didn't speak Eng at the bus station so try to find some one to help. The Vietnamese all spoke chinese but not Eng. Most people doing this route were Chinese.

Hope that covers everything, happy to help if you have more questions!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nanning to Hanoi

Hi,

Thank you so much for all the information, really helpful!! Have looked on google maps and see those roads you've mentioned and that they are near the train station. Only question would be, when I look up Langdong Bus station, it says it is to the east of the city centre. Somewhere else it said buses go from Nanning International Tourism Distribution Centre which is meant to be very near Nanning railway station. Just a bit confused as location of Langdong seems different.

Many thanks!

Disneyland Paris...
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nanning to Hanoi

Yes, I found the same confusing info, thats why I put this clear and detailed info here. Don't worry, its all correct as of last week. Langdong has 3 locations, the other info seems to mention the station far out of town but not this one, its silly because it is the most convenient for travelers.

An advantage of the bus vs train is that you can buy your bus ticket without needing to show your Vietnam visa as is required when purchasing a train ticket.

I can't see how to post photo's, I have pics that would help too.

Check this link for similar info and map: easybackpacker.com/2011/…

Have fun!

Guilin, China
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nanning to Hanoi

Hi,

The easy way from city center to Langdong bus station- take a taxi, cost around RMB40, you won't get lost. To be honesty, it may difficult to communicate with local people in English, some young people may could understand, but most part of people can't. You can purchase bus ticket from Nanning to Hanoi, need show your passport and visa. Bus ticket cost RMB158/p/p, the bus drive about 2.5 hrs from Naning Langdong bus station to Friendship Pass (In Pingxiang city), then all people need get off the bus to handle passing customs process, after getting into Vietnam side, get on another bus( you don't need purchase the bus ticket again, RMB158 including Nanning to Hanoi) to Hanoi, the driving time is about 3 hrs from the Friendship pass to Hanoi.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,288 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nanning to Hanoi

There's also a direct overnight train - just buy a ticket at the railway station.

Leaves daily at 18:20, arrives Hanoi Gia Lam station just before 05:00.

Soft sleeper costs RMB 248 (£25 or $38)

Hard sleeper costs RMB 160 (£16 or $26)

Disneyland Paris...
Level Contributor
10 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nanning to Hanoi

Again, just to clarify, you do NOT need to go out to Langdong bus station. It is a 5 min stroll from the train station, see prior posts.

Pinjarra, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nanning to Hanoi

We got the bus from Nanning tourist office near the rail station on June 18th, to Hanoi. It was very easy. If you search T A for my report on the Vienna Hotel in Nanning and use google maps. Very easy to do

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nanning to Hanoi

Are buses still running accordingly to schedule from Hanoi to Nanning since the Anti-Chinese protest?

Kolkata
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nanning to Hanoi

Hi,

Is it easy to get a ticket to Hanoi for the same night from Nanning railway station? Or do we need to do advance booking? I am planning to go in the 1st week of February 2015. Will it be too risky to count on getting a ticket for the same day?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nanning to Hanoi

why bus? there's a train