We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

I'm exploring the option of joining another person or small group for a ~10-14 day safari in November. I have offers for a private guide, but it'd be too expensive and perhaps lonely on my own. My dates in November are flexible.

Thanks, Matt

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

Please don't worry because you'll find that your guide to be a fascinating, and kind companion. I've been to Botswana three times, and feel that the warm, polite, and friendly people are an underrated asset. You'll be astounded by the wildlife in Botswana, as well as the birdlife. I have to warn you to bring some rain wear because it can rain sometimes in November.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

Why not just fly into camps and do the shared game drives? There are some good rates around in November- I'd suggest starting by looking at the Kwando 5 Rivers special, which starts mid Nov I think. There's no single supplement and I would guess the costs would come out pretty similar or less than doing a mobile all on your own. I'd guess around $500-550 oer night. Although if you are talking about this year you will probably struggle to find availability as it's very popular. But you may be able to find other camps with similar rates. If next year, you should be fine.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

I should also mention that Wilderness Safaris, as well as other companies also offer significant discounts if your'e planning to come in November. I'm talking about paying at least a third less.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

Hi Matt_Greenberg4,

I agree with Stokeygirl that flying into camps and doing a shared game drive will get you in with other guests at camp. Most camps do communal meals as well so you won’t be lonely if you put yourself out there. The good thing about safari is that most people staying in camp share similar interests. I think you’d be fine without going on a group tour.

5 Rivers by Kwando is a really good option. It operates mid-November through March excluding the Christmas period. They don’t charge single supplements which is a huge benefit to you. I just took at their availability as of this AM and space is still available this November.

Another option to consider if Ker&Downey camps. They go on low-season rates commencing in Dec. 1. If you can push your trip back by a few weeks to go in December, rates are $500/night with no single supplement. Another great value for money. Shinde is their best camp and you can combine this with 2 Kwando Camps under 5 Rivers such as Nxai or Tau Pan with Lebala or Lagoon. You can also take a look at Kanana which also falls under Ker&Downey.

November is an exceptional time to travel for value. Keep in mind that pre-2008 recession, Wilderness Safaris used to charge peak season for November. The game viewing is still very strong.

Best wishes in your trip planning.

Sincerely,

Kota Tabuchi – Managing Director: Africa – Travel Beyond

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

Thank you all for your thoughts and help. I'm looking forward to making some plans soon!

Thanks again-

Matt

Greater London...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

I wondered if you made your trip. And of so could you send some info if you recommend the guide etc. Thanks. Virginia

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

I have to say that I almost always go on safari alone and loneliness is never a problem. I can always find other people to talk to. I can chat with my fellow guests, guides and of course the managers.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
33 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

They are mobile tour operators based in Maun and you can join them. They have set up dates and most of their trips start from Maun ending to Vic Falls (zimbabwe) or Zambia. You can check with Bushways mobile safari. they have good rates for set departure. Their prices are much reasonable. Also Gifts Of The Kalahari Safari they have better rates

9. Re: Botswana - November safari (10-14 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2018, 16:15