We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Required copies of CC and Passport in booking excursion

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Required copies of CC and Passport in booking excursion

Hello,

In trying to book an excursion and hotel in Botswana, I was asked to fill out a CC authorization form that also asks for a copy of my credit card used and passport to be emailed over. I'm wondering if this is a legit process and if people have done this before when booking excursions and accommodations in other countries? I am a little skeptical since email is also not very secure. Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Required copies of CC and Passport in booking excursion

I mostly self book our African Trips so I often deal direct with lodges/etc. Many times I have been asked to email a copy of my passport, credit card and CCAF. I have booked over 30 rooms for trips to South Africa, Namibia, Botswana. It is a legitimate method of payment, not unusual for small businesses. I have never had a problem as a result of this way of paying.

There a few things you can do to minimize your vulnerability. Do not send details in the body of the email but as attachments. Send 2 separate emails with cc details, one being the 3 number security code. It is not fail safe for sure & if you are uncertain you could phone. In one case, I asked the lodge to ring me for the cc security code after I had emailed the CC number. I also give my bank details of intended transactions and reduce my limit on the card. Perhaps check with your bank for advice, some provide apps for locking unauthorised international credit card payments. Some other suggestions creditcards.com/credit-card-news/sending-car…

2. Re: Required copies of CC and Passport in booking excursion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2017, 15:18