We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive from Maun for 10 - 11 days?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive from Maun for 10 - 11 days?

Trying to put together an itinerary for 2 from JNB to Botswana , returning to JNB for flight home. Do we fly to Maun and rent a 4 x 4 camper? We have 11 days total and would like to see the highlights if we can, traveling beginning Feb 3rd. I know that's not much time, but I'm hoping to get some suggestions from other posters! Our budget is limited, so we can camp all or most of the time. Recommendations for passable routes (I know it's the green season) as well as places to overnight would be so appreciated. Also...a reputable 4x4 rental outfit? Thanks so much to everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive from Maun for 10 - 11 days?

Hi

Check with agents to put up an itinerary for you and arrange for your trip.

Regards

Maile - NDM Travel Agency [owner]

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive from Maun for 10 - 11 days?

Good recommendation from NDM. On our recent trip, our rental company (Bushlore) was very helpful in our planning, They provided us with 4 pre-made trip itinerary examples. We took them, mixed and matched them to fit our druthers, then gave it back to them and asked them to critique it. They made good suggestions to fine-tune it by adding a day here ("That day is a long drive so you'll arrive late, so add a layover day") or taking one off there ("You'll have seen similar terrain and wildlife on your previous location, so perhaps one day less at this camp"). And they then booked campsites for us; a service which didn't seem to increase my costs when I cross referenced what it would cost me to book directly. Apparently they make a percentage off of the bookings from the sites, so they don't charge the client.

And as you're going in wet season, some detailed info. would be valuable as some of the routes may be impassable. Hard to determine that in advance though, as each season is so different. We went in March but hit a fairly dry year, so were able to travel roads that may have been closed that month the prior year.

Have a great trip! We particularly liked Third Bridge Camp @ Moremi, Savuti and Ihaha Camps at Chobe.

Mentioned in this post
Moremi Game Reserve
Moremi Game Reserve
Okavango Delta, Botswana
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive from Maun for 10 - 11 days?

Thank you both for great advice, I've been in touch with Bushlore and they've given me some quotes, including one way drop off if we come and go from 2 different airports. Is starting in Maun and ending in Kasane better than starting/finishing in the same place?

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Kasane
Kasane
North-West District, Botswana
4. Re: Self drive from Maun for 10 - 11 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2017, 14:17