We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari July 2016 - solo traveller - better prebook?

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
288 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Safari July 2016 - solo traveller - better prebook?

Hi everybody

I will be in Botswana next July. I will reach Maun with bus from Gaborone on Jul. 22, I intend to prebook some cheap accommodation (single tent with bed) at some backpackers, but I’m unsure to do the same with safari. What I would like is the typical 7/8 days budget semi participated safari which ends in Kasane, and goes to Moremi, Savuti, Northern Chobe. Budget is 1500 Eu.

I read many threads here, which were very helpful, then asked some quotations to the recommended agencies, then I found others on the Botswana Tourist Board website, and others on the Botswana Guides Association. Did quite a lot of homework, and got a few replies. More will come in the next days, I suppose.

Apart from this, at the moment my big doubt is : is it really necessary to reserve in advance?

I am traveling alone. Will I easily find some group to join and leave one or two days after my arrival? That is peak season, I plan to sleep at Okavango River Lodge or Old Bridge, I think there will be loads of people around

Thank you for your help

Cristina

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari July 2016 - solo traveller - better prebook?

The scheduled trips will be great to join. It just depends how set you are in your dates. If you are certain that you would be in Maun, I would book the trip now, as the exchange rate is great at the moment and your Euro will get you a 8 day safari with no problem.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari July 2016 - solo traveller - better prebook?

"the typical 7/8 days budget semi participated safari which ends in Kasane, and goes to Moremi, Savuti, Northern Chobe".

I'm not sure this is so typical. To cover that ground in only 7/8 days is a bit of a rush. I have seen trips that do it that quickly, but I would say it's more common to take 9/10 days, and a longer trip might stretch your budget. My feeling is you'd be taking a risk turning up and expecting to find a trip that is exactly what you want and which has space on it and is within budget. If you just wanted a couple of nights into the delta that would be easy, but a Maun-Kasane in 7/8 days trip is quite specific.

3. Re: Safari July 2016 - solo traveller - better prebook?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2016, 17:17