We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outlets for re-charging batteries at camps?

Northern California
Level Contributor
38 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Outlets for re-charging batteries at camps?

Hello TA Experts,

We'll be staying at Moremi Crossing and Sango camps in September and have seen posts that say these and other camps have limited electrical outlets for re-charging of camera batteries etc. We're trying to decide whether to pack some powerpack devices.

We'd rather not add more weight to our bags so we were wondering how the re-charging works at such camps, especially larger camps like Moremi Crossing with 30 people all needing to recharge all their batteries at the end of the day.

Do people queue up and wait for their turn to plug in? and then does one wait by the outlets until their batteries are full? Or are there plenty of outlets for everyone to use in the common areas, just not located in the individual tents?

Also, I've seen conflicting info on the kind of adapter plugs needed for our US devices. Will the South African 3-round plug adapter work in Botswana camps, or do we also need to bring the UK-style 3-pronged adapters?

Thanks so much, can't wait to arrive in Botswana!!

Mentioned in this post
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Outlets for re-charging batteries at camps?

I can't comment about those specific camps but I was at the Kwando camps recently and they have the same system. They have a charging area in one of the communal areas with lots of charging points. People just plug in and leave things. A few comments-

In the charging area they had loads of charging points, quite a lot with multi-country adaptors attached. I'd stupidly forgottten my adaptor (which is the South African type with the 3 large round prongs). The ones with adaptors attached were always busy, I was kicking myself for forgetting mine as I'd have had a lot less trouble finding space for charging, as the South African outlets were mostly unused.

I couldn't believe how many gadgets people were charging. Not just camera batteries but iPads, smartphones, etc.. It was sometimes hard to find space. I have several batteries for my camera, so I was glad not to have to charge every day, only every few days. I would definitely make sure you have at least one spare for every camera. I wouldn't count on charging at the end of every single day. I've seen very angry people whose battery has been disconnected whilst charging, and who have been left with an uncharged battery for a day. So my advice would be to take spares and always have a spare charged.

Oh, and if you have a fairly common type of charger, it's worth thinking about putting a coloured sticker or something on it in case someone else has the same one.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outlets for re-charging batteries at camps?

Good general advice from stokeygirl . I am not gadget mad but by the time you take a phone, camera , iPad and in my case lithium torches as well , the number of chargers mounts up especially if you are a couple. I have experienced the melee that surrounds a central charging station and many of the devices are one and the same in appearance.

I have enough trouble knowing what charger / adaptor goes with what device so I invested in a cheap mini Dymo lettering machine to put our names on and the item name it goes with on a sticky label for each of the devices. This saves time trying to get the right plug/charger sorted out and prevents mix ups with other peoples. There can be no debate as to who owns what then.

We too will be staying at Moremi Crossing in September so I’d be interested in getting the low down on the situation there but irrespective I always take spare batteries where possible especially for cameras.

Northern California
Level Contributor
38 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outlets for re-charging batteries at camps?

Thanks so much for this info, Stokeygirl and Stargaize!

Exactly what we were hoping to learn. And thank you for your many other posts, you've been great treasure troves of helpful knowledge.

We'll be making stickies with the Dymo for our rechargers and marking our batteries. We have a 3-round pronged SA adapter and we'll put our dymo id's on that too. Instead of the power pack, I think I'll bring my travel outlet/extension to give me more outlets from one, so hopefully will not run into any angry folks!

Maybe will see you at MC, Stargaize! We'll be there on 1-3 Sep -- first time to Botswana, can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outlets for re-charging batteries at camps?

Good advice from all & Zebra, your reply post has reminded me to label my SA adapter, apart from the chargers. My new camera has to be recharged with battery in situ, so Zebra you will probably see me sitting at the charging station at MC. We arrive there on September 3rd.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outlets for re-charging batteries at camps?

Zebra perhaps our paths might cross as I will be arriving there on your last day , so if you see a couple with a pile of Dymo tagged paraphernalia you won’t have to second guess who it is lol.

I best mention I have no affiliation with that company just in case I am accused of advertising / promotion ~~

Looks like the charging station will be quite social and we may even bump into Nooee as well !

Northern California
Level Contributor
38 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outlets for re-charging batteries at camps?

How fun -- a TA forum reunion at Moremi Crossing's check-out and registration desk!

We'll be the California gals with tears in our eyes because we'll be saying goodbye to Botswana -- though I think we actually get booted out well before the next crew comes in. We promise not to leave the camp in too much of a wreck for you.

Safe travels and bon voyage!

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Outlets for re-charging batteries at camps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2016, 14:18