We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

My family and I are travelling to Botswana in July this year. We have booked flights with Air Botswana ... Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town, but they are yet to be confirmed. If these flights are cancelled what is the safest, inexpensive way to travel from Kasane to Maun and then 3 days later Maun to Cape Town? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Kasane
Kasane
North-West District, Botswana
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

Why would they be canceled? All airlines issue out immediate confirmations with e-tickets numbers so there is no way they can get canceled unless you have not paid for them. AB is reliable though they have reputations for delays than cancellations for no apparent reason. July is peak season so don't see that happening. South African would be your next gamble for flights.

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

AIr Botswana often cancel flights with short notifcation - depite having issued confirmed tickets. I have also heard they plan to cancel the Cape Town route - and the Air Botswana website is not offering flights during July. If it is cancelled they will fly you via JNB

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

I heard today on another forum that the Maun-Cape Town route is being cancelled from 1 April.

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Cape Town
Cape Town
Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

SOME UPDATES ON ADDITIONAL FLIGHT OPTIONS WITH AIRLINK

Airlink will commence a scheduled Johannesburg - Kasane (Botswana) service, from Friday 22 March 2013.

The initial schedule will operate on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, departing OR Tambo at 11:45 arriving back in Johannesburg at 15:50 to optimise further out bound onward connections. From August 2013 the service will operate daily.

Airlink will operate the Kasane service using one of its 12 Embraer ERJ 135 37seat regional jets.

The addition of this route brings Airlink’s route network to a total of 31 destinations serviced, of which 17 are over-border destinations.

Kasane is close to Africa’s Four Corners, where four countries almost meet: Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The African Safari experience is a product marketed globally. Botswana, Chobe and Zimbabwe feature a unique wildlife game viewing experience and the opportunity to extend itineraries to include Victoria Falls, is a unique add-on feature of this route.

Benefits for Airlink travellers also include Voyager Miles and convenient interline connections with SAA and its international partner airlines.

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Kasane
Kasane
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Kasane
Level Contributor
175 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

The information we have here in Kasane is that the Maun-Cape Town direct flight has been cancelled and that the Kasane-Maun is also in jeopardy. I am hoping to find out more info in a meeting with them on Wednesday. Going directly Kasane-Maun might have to be by charter although this is not cheap!

Charter companies include:

1. Moremi Air

2. Mack Air

3. Safari Air

4. Delta Air.

The cheapest way would be to get a bus although that is quite a long (and potentially challenging) day!

Best of luck,

Clive

Safari and Guide Services

Kasane

Mentioned in this post
Kasane
Kasane
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Cape Town
Cape Town
Moremi Game Reserve
Moremi Game Reserve
Okavango Delta, Botswana
Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

It would surprise me if Air Botswana cancelled the Maun-Kasane route, as it is usually busy - especially July - October, but, Air Botswana never fails to surprise! Although it is expensive to fly Maun-Kasane on a charter, keep in mind that many guests need to fly from a Lodge in the Okavango, it is more time efficient and cost effective to fly from the Lodge to Kasane by charter, as the guests would need to take a charter from the Lodge into Maun for the Air Botswana flight anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Kasane
Kasane
Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

In today's Ngami Times letters to the Editor:

Sir, - How pathetic is Air Botswana's press release regarding the cancelling of the Cape Town flight? Does it even make sense?

As a valued customer of Air Botswana myself, why would I want them to “rationalise our operations for the maximum benefit of our valued customers”, by cancelling a return CPT/MUB/CPT flight which I, and five others, and I'm sure many others, have already booked and paid for. Can someone please explain where we benefit from that????

Air Botswana managed to kill the route through their own inefficiency last time, and now they are about to do it again. Reminds me of a joke about an ostrich....

KAREN MACINTYRE

Maun

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,698 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

I've heard the Maun-Kasane route has indeed also been cancelled, as of 31 March.

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Kasane
Kasane
Kasane
Level Contributor
175 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

We have received the flight schedule for Maun airport and it doesn't include Kasane-Maun. There isn't any press release regarding this route but from our meeting last week and the new schedule I think we can take an educated guess that they are cancelling that route also...

Karen, your frustration is shared here in Kasane!

BTW, Airlink flights have all arrived on time from Jo'berg to Kasane so far.

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Kasane
Kasane
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Botswana flights Kasane to Maun and Maun to Cape Town

Hi

Many thanks for all your help. It looks like Air Botswana is out at this stage.

There are 7 of us in our group and we need to travel from Chobe Kasane to Maun on the 9th July. We are booked at Planet Baobab from 9th to the 12th. Then on the 12th July we were due to fly Maun to Cape Town. . Budget wise, it would be great to have something similar to the Air Botswana flight costings if that's at all possible. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pip

Mentioned in this post
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
Kasane
Kasane
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana