We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mokoro Day trip from Maun

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mokoro Day trip from Maun

Hi

I am looking to do a mokoro day trip in a few weeks time from Maun. Do I need to make an advanced booking, or am I able to turn up the evening before and guarentee myself (and a friend) a place?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Rob

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mokoro Day trip from Maun

I would book in advance, as the place you're staying at will have to arrange with the mokoro station for your trip. If you are arriving at night this might be a problem. Where are you staying in Maun?

London, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mokoro Day trip from Maun

Ok thanks for your response dumelamaun. I havent yet decided but am pretty flexible - preferably cheap and somewhere to stick up my tent! Do you have any recommendations?

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mokoro Day trip from Maun

I would suggest Okavango River Lodge, or The Bridge Backpackers.

They are the most reasonable for camping and mokoro trips. And good budget places.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mokoro Day trip from Maun

Hi there

Most of the Mokoro tours depart early morning and advance booking is recommended but if you arrive a day or 2 before doing the trip you can book through most establishments. Besides from the accommodation previously mention Audi Camp offers a great campsite and in house Delta tour service.

Enjoy!

Kate de Roubaix

Tour Manager

Truly Africa Tours.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mokoro Day trip from Maun

Rob: Every hotel in Maun offers these excursions, and you can book them last minute.

This is only interesting if you have never been on a river delta. I was bored; the trip takes too long, it's hot out there, and the boatmen are incredibly inflexible.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
77 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mokoro Day trip from Maun

I went with a mokoro ride organized by the Old Bridge Backpackers and I really enjoyed it. I would recommend to sleep in the delta for at least one night though, as you get to reach more interesting places like that. Be aware that these trips are more for the scenery and ambiance, and not really for wildlife spotting - expect to see painted frogs, birds and if you take at least a full day and manage to walk a bit as well perhaps some zebra, wildebeest and elephants.

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mokoro Day trip from Maun

There are two types of Mokoro trips :

Community based mokoro trips in town (Maun) or mokoro trips done from the Moremi National Park from Mboma station, or Third Bridge.

The trips out in the delta are stunning, and you can see much more then in town.. however, you have to get yourself to the boat stations there and it's 5 hours from town. The town trips support the community guides (called polers) and they really try their best.. it is worth doing.. either way...

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mokoro Day trip from Maun

I too am planning a mokoro day trip for 8 of us in October. We have accommodation and the place we are staying in prices the trip at 750 pula per person. Is this reasonable as I can't seem to find any way else to do it independently?

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mokoro Day trip from Maun

That is about right for a day trip. You will not really get a good experience of the Delta on a one day trip - as you won't have time to get into the Delta. You might also like to consider a scenic flight over the delta - for a group of 8 you would be able to negotiate a good deal.

10. Re: Mokoro Day trip from Maun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 16:19