We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maun-Vic Falls-RSA advice

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
442 posts
82 reviews
Maun-Vic Falls-RSA advice

We've booked a safari, leaving from Maun, ending in Vic Falls or Livingstone, for June-July 2009. Afterward, we're going to Cape Town. 1-way airfares are expensive. We need to get from Cape Town (or possibly Jo'burg) to Maun to start the trip; then Livingstone or Vic. Falls to get back to Cape Town. Do we go round trip from Cape Town to Livingstone/Vic. Falls? Then how do we get 1-way to Maun? There are 6 of us. I wouldn't mind driving, but then we have a 1-way, inter-country rental.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Maun-Vic Falls-RSA advice

hi there DC,

i can provide the answer to your question, but i need to know if you have purchased your international tickets. the cost and options greatly depend on this factor.

for example, if you are flying from IAD on South African Airways, for competitive reasons, the airline includes a free round-trip flight from JNB-CPT any time during your trip. also, adding a flight to/from Livingstone/Victoria Falls to a trans-Atlantic ticket is much cheaper than buying a ticket stand-alone.

bascially - i need to know how are you getting to South Africa and is this already purchased?

also, why isn't the company you bought the safari from anwering this question for you? what is the safari and who is it with? this is important because i am sure the safari does not have an optional ending in vic falls or livingstone. those are two cities in two different countries and it is important you purchase a ticket from the correct airport or you will be in for a long and costly morning the day you depart.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Maun-Vic Falls-RSA advice

Hi Washington!

Let me make a stab at the driving part of your question.

In November 2007, we rented in Johannesburg and drove to Kasane, in Chobe National Park, then back to South Africa.

To drive across the border, the car rental company in South Africa charges a fee for the special paper work and extra insurance. There is also a tax of about US$30 collected by the Botswana border patrol at their Customs House.

Roads in Botswana are usually good. I say mostly, because we came across a section of about 35 miles where the surface was badly pitted with potholes, and another double-digit stretch where roadwork slowed everything down. The highways are mostly two-lane undivided.

We found driving in Botswana easy and safe, provided you don't try to go 70 mph over bad potholes. The drivers are courteous and sensible, more so we found than their counterparts in Europe and North America. Botswana's highway system is not dense, so there's little chance of getting lost.

Speed limits in Botswana were rigidly enforced by cops with radar guns. I don't know if this happens all the time or whether we just happened to arrive during a special campaign. We got stopped no fewer than four times, mostly for infractions of about 10 miles over the limit (which our North American cops would routinely ignore). The fine was about US$30. All the cops spoke English. Three of the times, the policemen let us off with a warning. Never did any of the officers hint at a bribe, and we were always sent on our way without paying one.

You'll find gas stations and convenience stores at regular intervals along the way. (Keep your tank full, though, when heading away from Gaberone and Francistown. Fuel deliveries to end-of-the-road places like Kasane don't always happen on schedule. Once, we had to wait nearly a day for the fuel tanker to arrive.)

Botswana is not motel-a-mile country. Outside Gaberone and Francistown, you'd do well to have acccommodations picked out before you get there, to avoid a hectic search after dark. Remember that the days are short in June and July, and it will be dark well before six.

Car companies don't like one-way rentals across borders. Having said that, I'm sure it would not be the first time it's happened. Wages for car jockeys are moderate, and no matter how much they charged you it would certainly be a lot cheaper than six one-way plane tickets to Maun.

We didn't drive to Maun. Speaking with tour operators, I was told that the roads to Maun, both from Francistown and from Chobe, are paved and similar in quality to the one we traveled from Francistown to Chobe.

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
3. Re: Maun-Vic Falls-RSA advice

Take the Intercape Bus to Gaborone. www.intercape.co.za

There are a couple Tour agencies that can take you in a van to Maun or hire a land rover or land cruiser for the rest of the way, and self drive. Its paved all the way into Maun.

Robbie Becker

Owner – luangwablondes

Consultant – Self Drive Africa

Destination Expert – Tracks4Africa

4. Re: Maun-Vic Falls-RSA advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2009, 15:43