We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are planning a self drive camping holliday to Botswana

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
We are planning a self drive camping holliday to Botswana

We are coming from Mpumalanga, what is the best border to cross?

How long in advance must we make camping bookings (out of season and not in raining seasons)? We are using a 4x4, would 2 x 25lt diesel cans fuel be enough between fuel points? We are planning to camp in nature reserves, the furthest one would be Chobe. I would really appreciate any info, cause we are so unsure. We do read allot on google/ watch ingin youtube but have still a lot of questions😊

If you do have any more info you can email me at anitasmit11@gmail.com.

Thank you

4 replies to this topic
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
365 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: We are planning a self drive camping holliday to Botswana

Can you be more specific about inquiries?

<<out of season and not in raining seasons>>

When exactly? And where exactly? But generally, the soonest the better. Some of the most popular campsites get fully booked several months (even year!) in advance.

<< We are using a 4x4, would 2 x 25lt diesel cans fuel be enough between fuel points?>>

Not knowing what the fuel tank capacity of your vehicle is, no one can give you any meaningful answer. And not knowing exactly what your route well be is not helping either. Venturing into Chobe might mean a 100 km of game drives, but traversing it between Kasane and Maun can mean a 1000 km (including game drives). And fuel consumption might be profoundly different between the two.

<<We are coming from Mpumalanga, what is the best border to cross?>>

Again, depends on where in Botswana you are going to. If heading to north (Maun, Kasane), then probably Martins Drift (Groblersburg) or Stockport.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: We are planning a self drive camping holliday to Botswana

We planning some time from May 1 - July/Aug 2019 or 2020. It would depends on bookings. Its winter then. We using a VW Amarok 4x4,I need to ask my husband about the tank capacity, I think it is standard. We just want to camp!! We are thinking about Maun to Moremi Game Reserve then to Chobe National Park. We will be in Botswana for 10 days.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: We are planning a self drive camping holliday to Botswana

You do realise you've put your email address on a public forum, for all the world, and its bots, to harvest? You may want to consider removing your post and posting again sans personal details?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
365 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: We are planning a self drive camping holliday to Botswana

<<We planning some time from May 1 - July/Aug 2019 or 2020.>>

July and August are *the highest* season for selfdriving/camping in Botswana. Yes, it's winter, but it's also school holidays in Europe, North America, .... Many selfdrivers/campers coming from those regions to Botswana. June/July is also school holidays in SA, if I'm not mistaken. Even more campers coming from there to Botswana.

For those months, you need to start booking now! And for most of them, it's probably already a bit late. Particularly for Chobe. There are only three campsites inside this park. Ihaha, Linjanti, Savuti. And all of those are in exceptionally high demand.

Reply to: We are planning a self drive camping holliday to Botswana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted