We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Van service Maun to Windhoek (and vice-versa)

Level Contributor
4 posts
30 reviews
Van service Maun to Windhoek (and vice-versa)

FYI

During the high season (starting in May) there is a private van service that does Maun to Windhoek on Fridays, and Windhoek to Maun on Sundays.

I have used them once and the service was really good. It's BWP650 per person (not as cheap as public transportation), but it is worth it for the convenience. The van is new, the driver is responsible and our trip went smoothly. I haven't found any public service that does this route directly, so this van is an excellent alternative. I am actually using it again next Friday, so if anyone wants updates let me know and I'll write them here later.

Tip: it's a small company, so they don't run if there are no bookings for the week. Call them in advance to make sure the service will be available.

Their contact info is:

"Tourism First & Flood Pulse

Bookings:

bookings@tourismfirst.co.bw

Enquiries:

+267 73034310

+267 76031177"

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Van service Maun to Windhoek (and vice-versa)

Thanks for the information.

Angus, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Van service Maun to Windhoek (and vice-versa)

This sounds like an excellent service. We are planning a trip to Namibia/Botswana next year and have been trying to work out ways to get from Windhoek to Maun. Could we hire a vehicle (4x4 or 2x4) once we get to Maun so that we can self drive around Botswana? We would be looking to self drive around Namibia before travelling to Botswana.

Is it possible to rent in Maun and return the vehicle to Gabs?

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Van service Maun to Windhoek (and vice-versa)

How long does that drive usually take?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,738 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Van service Maun to Windhoek (and vice-versa)

@ redrose why not hire your vehicle in Namibia and drop off at Gabs or SA ( I see you have supplied more details in Nam forum ) as over a 31 day rental from Avis International gives a substantial discount. I have hired 4 x 4 Fortuner from AVIS Windhoek and driven a 32 day trip covering Namibia and Botswana. I didn't camp but a fully equipped whether 4 x4 or non camping equipped 4 wd or normal sedan to drop off in a different country will incur a 1 way drop off fee which can be hefty as the return calculation mileage, fuel etc is factored in to the formula re costing. Crunch the numbers as separate hires may or may not be cheaper but I don't know as I returned to Windhoek so did not incur the fee for a 1 way.

Reply to: Van service Maun to Windhoek (and vice-versa)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted