We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4x4 Camper hire in Maun?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
4x4 Camper hire in Maun?

We are planning a 3 week round trip Maun, panhandle, Caprivi Strip, Chobe, Moremi, Maun in September/October 18.

We need 2 4x4 campers to rent from Maun with double (or 1½ ) cab with room for cameras and internal access to sleeping. Avis have some suitable vehicles but I can't find a Maun agency that rents them, or something similar - we don't want an external tall ladder.

DriveSouthAfrica will take vehicles to Maun but charge 7000 rand.

At the moment we're thinking of renting fromJNB but it adds 2 days either side of our planned trip. We could rent 4x4 vehicles and stay in lodgings but some of the Chobe and Moremi campsites only have camping.

Mentioned in this post
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
Moremi Game Reserve
Moremi Game Reserve
Okavango Delta, Botswana
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Moremi Crossing Camp
Moremi Crossing Camp
#1 of 51 Speciality lodging in Maun
Mopiri Camp
Mopiri Camp
#3 of 51 Speciality lodging in Maun
Gomoti Plains Camp
Gomoti Plains Camp
#44 of 69 Speciality lodging in Okavango Delta
2 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4x4 Camper hire in Maun?

campertravelafrica.com/depot/…bushlore

For avid campers the above company has been mentioned numerous times on 4 x4 Forums and TA. I have never hired a camper van but have hired 4 WD and sedans mainly from Avis SA which usually is a cheaper option even allowing for cross border fees but providing the vehicles are returned to the country of original hire.

The public campsites in the national parks get booked out quite quickly so if they are then a camper van won't be necessary. That I think is the key issue.

You could hire in Namibia and go via Caprivi into Chobe and thence Moremi and Maun.I have hired an Avis 4wd Fortuner from Windhoek and driven into Botswana and return but overall SA usually ends up be a cheaper exercise.

If you are more into lodges etc a camper van seems superfluous. If there are 4 of you a private mobile safari to those areas may be a good option as an alternative as the BOGA campsites in place like Savuti, Kwhai, etc are private but whichever option you need to check availability as self drive/camping is quite popular,as are mobile safaris as well.

Your choices will be dictated by what is available and you need to get cracking as many get booked well in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
Moremi Game Reserve
Moremi Game Reserve
Okavango Delta, Botswana
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4x4 Camper hire in Maun?

Thanks for your reply. We have looked at this company and they also charge lots to hire from Maun, much cheaper from JNB so the vans are probably kept in SA.

We know roughly the route and Ihaha and 3rd bridge campsites are booked.

I know that they do get booked up in advance but often these completely full sites are surprisingly empty when you actually turn up. Last year we thought ourselves lucky to get a night at Southgate because it was completely booked up. On arrival we were allocated a tiny pitch next to the toilets. We parked the 2 vans at a much nicer perimeter pitch and told the people on reception who said that all pitches were full but that the office closed at 6pm so if no one else turned up by then it was fine. I think there were about 4 groups of people on the whole site that night.

What appeared to be a fairly boring site by day was lovely at night. Eating dinner we were watched by a spotted hyena, honey badger and a genet in the little tree behind us.

We won't sleep in the van every night, need a proper bed sometimes. Camp Kwando has nice riverside tents. One of our favourite places to camp was Kalizo in Namibia but the owners sold to some big outfit who have taken it apart and rebuilt, I have no idea if the campsites will still be next to the river.

The price for campers seems to be much dearer this year hence the need to shop around. The problem is that my OH has a gammy foot and can't climb runged ladders so we need a van that has interior access. Last time we had a pop top landranger but these have now disappeared.

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Camp Kwando
Camp Kwando
247 Reviews
Kongola, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Reply to: 4x4 Camper hire in Maun?