We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

Hi. We are planning a trip around the Okavonga Delta and Chobe National Park in July 2018. We are a family of four (teenagers are 14 and 16) and we are going to book a private guided camping trip. We believe our flight into Maun will arrive around1pm and the safari will start the next day. We are looking for recommendations of a place to stay (just a mid-priced family place), as well as how to engage in the local culture for the afternoon/evening. We are interested in local art, dance, traditional medicine and healing. Recommendations of a tour company and price guide for that time of year would be appreciated. We were thinking 8 nights in the bush. We don't want to rush or travel between destinations more than enjoying them, so an indication of best water and land viewing and nights per place would also be welcome. We are drawn to the delta, Khwai/Xakanaxa, Nxxai pan and baobabs, the Linyanti area/Chobe National park.

Mentioned in this post
Chobe National Park
Chobe National Park
North-West District, Botswana
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
21 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

Everyone simply flies in and out of Maun because it's a small town where there is nothing much to do there. I agree that you should spend as much time as possible in the bush. I have always flown into Maun from Johannesburg and then began my safari in Maun.

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

If you do end up staying in Maun , some people do mobiles and only depart the next day, you can either do the Nhabe Museum, or an afternoon horse ride on the river, scenic flight, have a look at the traditional Basket Weaving, or go visit Tim and June place at the airport and watch one of their wild life movies. You can also do a traditional dinner in a boma, ( It all depends what your interests are) People doing upmarket lodge trips normally only see the airport and nothing of Maun. Its a little hub with many different cultural influences.

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

sounds awesome. thanks Anton.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

Try getting Back of Bridge Backpacker and camping for accom / food /bar and some fine delta tours

They sit at edge of delta

uk
Level Contributor
53 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

I usually stay ar Sedie Hotel, which is not expensive or luxurious, but the villas are nice and food is good. There are a number of mobile Safari companies who give great value and camp in private campsites with just you and the crew who guide, Cook and set up the camp., I recommend www.elephanttrails.com having used them for a number of years, but there are a few to choose from. If you want lodges or luxury camps you can expect to pay a much heftier price tag.

8 nights is a reasonable amount but I wouldn’t waste time journeying between some of the areas mentioned as it will cut down on your game viewing time. I would stay in Moremi which is the prettiest and most diverse and most areas will offer something different. You can do a boat excursion in xaxanaxa, and since the mobile outfits book the sites well in advance you will probably find that they can give you a well planned route. Kwai is a great area and you can stay inside the park or outside in the community camping areas like sable alley or mogotho which are bursting with wildlife and have less restrictions than inside the park. I usually do both. I can promise that you will have an awesome time where ever you stay .

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

Thanks for your advice. We are getting excited!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,369 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

We have just returned from Botswana. We did a private 5 day mobile safari for 4. It was organised by a local agent, Anton, owner of Lelobu Safaris in Maun, however, the actual operator was Old Bridge Tours & Safaris, which is budget -mid range pricing. We asked for private camp sites in Savuti and Khwai both were great and we were the only ones in both those areas. In Savuti we had a BOGA private site SV1 right on the old dry Savuti channel, game viewing in the area was excellent and we camped at Matswere site in Khwai along Sable Alley river, very scenic, also game rich and lots of birds. These sites are not available to the general public only registered safari companies are able to book sites. Moremi would be worth including as well. We preferred the return route to Maun via the sand road rather than the awful gravel road from Mababe

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
Sable Alley
Sable Alley
31 Reviews
Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

Oops mistake --it was Old Bridge Backpacker I stayed at and did their

2 night -3 day Safari and this was September 2010.

Great place to stay--had a small cabin way down at the back

Bloody great bar

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

In the bar area the bench seats are woefully uncomfortable and the sofas are fine if you are about 6ft 6 '' plus but as a short stay in transit it is adequate and cheap.Their en suite cabins are better than the luxury en suite tents in Audi camp.

Mentioned in this post
Audi Camp
Audi Camp
187 Reviews
Maun, Botswana
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?

Didn't have ensuite but $15 a night was good 4 me--used the bamboo type bathrooms

Bar was a ripper and seats --well I found the whole experience regardless

Reply to: overnight accommodation and town activities in Maun?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted