We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botswana Safari and malaria medication

Michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Botswana Safari and malaria medication

I will be traveling into the Okavango Delta, Moremi, and Chobe. Will it be necessary to take malaria pills. It is an ensuite tented safari.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Botswana Safari and malaria medication

There is a high risk of malaria especially November to June, in the northern half of Botswana and due to the recent heavy rains there has been an increase in the number of cases of malaria in malaria prone areas namely; Okavango, Ngami, Chobe, Boteti, Tutume and Bobirwa. Cases of the disease have also been reported in areas that do not usually have malaria.

These include North East, Serowe, Palapye, Mahalapye, Kgatleng, Kweneng, Kgalagadi South and Gantsi.

I think that answers your question.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Botswana Safari and malaria medication

It is simply not worth the risk to ever go without taking your anti malarial medication. You need only take one pill a week,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Botswana Safari and malaria medication

It depends on which type of malarial pill you are going to take, mine are daily tablets, which I start taking before I leave for our trip and after return, however, other types not so. Ask your Doctor who knows your medical history as to your best choice & the regime for the tablets.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Botswana Safari and malaria medication

My doctor in my visit today recommended Doxycycline for my forthcoming Africa trip but always a good idea to go to your own GP who knows your medical history as Nooee says.

Level Contributor
1,466 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Botswana Safari and malaria medication

To get the definitive answer go to the CDC website and you will see everything you need for any Africa trip or for any country in the world for that matter. Malaria is not in all of Botswana so it depends where you go and you have to weigh the risks of the preventive meds. See https:/…botswana.

Level Contributor
1,466 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Botswana Safari and malaria medication

Removed

Edited: 14 June 2017, 08:13
7. Re: Botswana Safari and malaria medication

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2018, 14:17