We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money exchange

dunedin
6 posts
Save Topic
money exchange

I am travelling to Espiritu Santo in late November from NZ.

I would like to know if it is best to exchange money in NZ before I leave or can I take NZ dollars to espiritu santo and exchange it over there?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
212 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money exchange

Hi ZARBO4, we were on Santo recently. In 2010 we exchanged some NZD into Vatu before we left the country, but many banks in our town, NELSON, don't hold that currency - so had to get it at Auckland airport, which was a real pain because of delayed flights etc. etc.

In 2010 we had tried to get cash out of the 2 money machines on high street of LUganville, BUT both were out of order, so had to go to the only bank (?) and it was very difficult and long winded, so 2011, we took all cash VATU with us from Port Vila, much more convenient, but we had to be well organised, as to how much VATU we needed. We were concerned we didn't have enough cash for our next week in remote areas, so managed to get more cash from the money machine outside LCM - the supermarket in the main street, in Luganville - no problems at all.

We used Goodies in Port Vila for exchanging cash. So to answer your question, I guess you can use the bank in Luganville to exchange if you prepared for island time and possibilty of hitches. Best wishes. (I've made the assumption that you'll be flying into Port Vila as you are from NZ.)

Edited: 05 November 2011, 11:26
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money exchange

Some handy info there from Kiwilanders.

Are you spending any time in Port Vila Zarbo?? If so, you are probably better getting your cash there.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,898 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money exchange

I flew from Wellington to Tanna all in one day, and changed NZ$ at the airport in Port Vila in the hour and a bit between arriving from NZ and getting on the flight to Tanna. The timing was a little tight but do-able. I've had no problems changing NZ money in Port Vila, and I'd recommend that you bring cash with you and change in Vanuatu. The only place I've found that changes into vatu in NZ is Travelex and their rate is awful, whether it's at the airport or a downtown exchange bureau.

You will also be able to pay by credit card at bigger establishments, but generally there is a surcharge. It could be a useful backup if you find yourself running short of cash.

dunedin
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: money exchange

Thankyou for your replies.

Unfortunately we have just 1 hour in Port Vila so will not have time to go to "Goodies" to change money.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money exchange

No but there is a National Bank of Vanuatu money exchange window right at the airport in Bauerfield. You can exchange there before your transfer to Tanna.

You can also exchange at the Chinese supermarket money exchange in Luganville, or at the ANZ bank.

The supermarket has an inside office where you can exchange much the same as you would any money exchange.

One Sunday when we pulled up in the evening and most things were closed we exchanged money at the servo ( petrol station). We did a few hundred dollars which was enough to get us through the first few days.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: money exchange

Hey all

going on a cruise in about a week and was wondering about money exchange from Aussie dollars to the Islands is it all the same currency and can we exchange in Port Vila

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money exchange

David, there's numerous threads on money exchange in PV. Goodies has the best rate, opposite Westpac bank up from the post office. check this link

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294144-i4912-k…

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: money exchange

Thanks life traveller much appreciated

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money exchange

Hi David,

Would I be right in thinking that you are going to Noumea and possibly Fiji as well as Vanuatu?

If so you will find that you need different currencies for different nations.

Vila, Champagne Beach, Mystery Island are the three usual Vanuatu stops. These require vatu.

Noumea, Lifou, The Isle of Pines and Suva or Nadi require their own currencies (South Pacific Franc and Fiji Dollar respectively).

It helps if we know where you're going.

Jen

sydney
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money exchange

Hi, I'm going to join in the conversation and ask of anyone know if goodies open on Xmas and boxing day, as we are only in port Vila on those two days before heading over to Santo. Thanks!