We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency in Tonga

Manukau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
123 posts
57 reviews
38 helpful votes
Currency in Tonga

Another never been before question please...I

s Tongan dollar the currency mostly accepted. Are ATMs readily available and safe to get money from (ie don't eat your card!)

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
487 reviews
437 helpful votes
1. Re: Currency in Tonga

yes TOP is the currency accepted. Can use eftpos and credit card the same as usual.

Kona
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
50 reviews
36 helpful votes
2. Re: Currency in Tonga

ATMs are fairly easily available and I've never had one malfunction there; just make sure you don't head out to outer islands or remote villages without sufficient pa'anga (TOP) to see you through.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
487 reviews
437 helpful votes
3. Re: Currency in Tonga

which outer islands are you referring to #2 as we had no issues with eftpos and visa in ha’apai or Vava’u

Kona
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
50 reviews
36 helpful votes
4. Re: Currency in Tonga

Ha'apai (51 islands) and Vava'u (41 islands) are large island groups, each of which have a main island and many outer islands. If you're headed to Euaiki or Uoleva, for example, be prepared for no ATMs.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
487 reviews
437 helpful votes
5. Re: Currency in Tonga

I think OP is just considering Tongatapu at this stage. But on some remote islands you wont even get mobile coverage, wifi, atms or eftpos. However, in places with tourist accommodation and activities they will generally accept credit cards.

Reply to: Currency in Tonga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tongatapu Island