We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Poisoning

Lower Hutt, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
34 reviews
Food Poisoning

We arrived back from Tongatapu after staying at a nice clean hotel. We have now been diagnosed with Typhoid after initially thinking it was salmonella. I want to tell you that you can avoid this by buying local food and not eating from the restaurants. For example, there is a great bread shop and lovely tomatoes, cucumbers, NZ butter and cheese available. I would do this next time even if the menu was boring. I noticed that bottles water is available so make sure to use it. We are suffering terribly from the Typhoid and it has really spoilt our memories of the holiday. Of course there are lovely bananas, mandarins and oranges to be bought. I cannot understand why the restaurants do not use the fresh produce.. DO not have ice ever. Please be careful.

15 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,335 posts
478 reviews
1. Re: Food Poisoning

Sorry to hear that. We have just returned and had a fantastic time. I hope you do a TA review of the restaurant. We spent most of our time on Ha apai where all the food for guests (except local fresh fish and fruit) is freighted from NZ. The whole time we were there no one was sick and it was our very best holiday ever. Did you have a current thyphod vaccine? it is recommended for all travel to tropical south pacific and i always check my immunisations are up to date before we travel. Thyphoid is here in nz as well.

auckland
Level Contributor
842 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Food Poisoning

Really sorry to hear of your experience and yes it can happen anywhere...... I always, always apart frommaking sure vacs are up to dat, travel with sonething called Travelbug..... it is available in many N Z chemists and is a travel probiotic.... you take 1 in the morning, more should you become unwell ( if taking malaria med which I often need to do depending on where I am travelling, I take that at night) Now I am not saying it wld defeat Typhoid but I do know 13 people travelling down the Ganges camping on sand bars ( yep what was I thinking?!) ..... 10 got really sick and 3 didnt.... my friend and I plus a med student taking travel probiotics. Rule of thumb...... I never drink local water nor clean my teeth in local water nor have ice and I will quite often turn vegetarian except I often dont eat salads. In Tonga I dont drink the local water nor have ice. I wish you a speedy recovery......

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,335 posts
478 reviews
3. Re: Food Poisoning

After a really bad experience in Fiji (rated as one of the most common places to get food poisoning and gastro illness sick in the world) we always take probotics two weeks before and during. We found drinking the water in Ha apai was perfectly fine. But thyphoid immunisations a must for tropical islands.

Lower Hutt, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Food Poisoning

Do you know that it didn't even occur to me to get vaccinations. You look at the plush photos of the hotel and getting sick skips your mind. Of course not going to Travel Agents any more you don't get that kind of information (if you ever did). We got this illness at the hotel we stayed in and it is an ethical dilemma for me to name the hotel when it is trying to get back on it's feet. But I will write to the manager. It would be an unbelievably huge task for him considering most of the staff have no English, let alone trying to impart food and hygiene information. And if he did put notices around saying only drink bottled water, what about the chicken from the restaurant etc.Never ending.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,335 posts
478 reviews
5. Re: Food Poisoning

Also remember that thyphoid symptoms appear six to thirty days AFTER exposure. So unless it has been tested positive it could be any place you were at in the last thirty days. And would be unfair to blame one place unless proven.

auckland
Level Contributor
842 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Food Poisoning

I admire the ethical way you are handling this....

Re Fiji where I lived for a couple of years a long long time ago..... giardia is another goodie there and do not get me started on what those air conditioning units ( that rarely if ever get cleaned).....cook up.......

I would strongly suggest you get onto some probiotics even while you are healing........

Cheers

Edited: 27 September 2017, 13:04
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,335 posts
478 reviews
7. Re: Food Poisoning

fiji is one of the worlds worse vacation spots for gastro illness, norovirus, and food poisoning. there are only two south pacific countries with a current alert for zika and its fiji and american samoa. Tonga had one of the better records, but always risks when travelling.

auckland
Level Contributor
842 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Food Poisoning

........ oh I can give you a list of other places which would make Fiji pale BUT you usually aren't paying an arm and a leg for the priviledge.......🙃

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,335 posts
478 reviews
9. Re: Food Poisoning

Thyphoid local news https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/9746…

Lower Hutt, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: Food Poisoning

Thanks for the newspaper link. We did not go to hospital but managed at home.It is a real palaver dealing with it.The antibiotic Azithromycin needed us to have ECG as it can cause QT syndrome in the heart. Had stool sample to get first diagnosis, then a blood culture grown to see if in the blood stream, and now tests for anaemia and other things. All the while, projectile vomiting, high temperature, diarrhea up to twenty times a day. Got out of bed today as it has been 14 days of exhaustion since it appeared.

PLEASE get vaccinated if you go near the Pacific Islands.No amount of travel insurance can cushion things if you get struck down. My daughter had it the worst as she is on a chemotherapy drug with low immunity. I feel unbelievably stupid now for being so casual. Also vaccinate against both Hepatitis strains.

Reply to: Food Poisoning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tongatapu Island