We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Longford

US
Level Contributor
323 posts
181 reviews
Day trip to Longford

Hello, looking at a day trip into Longford town by bus/rail and just looking for some general information, as there isn't much listed for things to do and logistics and I have looked at the Longford tourism website but it mostly covers the broad county activities.

Can you walk from the rail station into the main downtown area? St. Mel's Cathedral? My initial thoughts were we could see St. Mel's Cathedral, walk part of The Mall, walk around the town, have a bite to eat, etc....

From the most recent post I see on the forum, it sounds like the town is not in great shape? Are there things open, will we have things to do for the day?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

14 replies to this topic
Beaufort, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
124 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Longford

The train station is 5 min walk from the town centre. St Mel's has only recently been reopened after a huge fire 5 years ago. There isn't anything else in the town worth seeing imo.

US
Level Contributor
323 posts
181 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Longford

Thanks for the response. How about another nearby town or something else nearby to see that we might take a taxi to from the train station?

Thanks!

US
Level Contributor
323 posts
181 reviews
3. Re: Day trip to Longford

Thanks for the response. How about another nearby town or something else nearby to see that we might take a taxi to from the train station?

Thanks!

Beaufort, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
124 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Longford

Do you mind if I ask you "why Longford"? Ardagh village is nice enough to stroll about. I think there might be an heritage centre there. After that I'm struggling to think of anything else tbh.

US
Level Contributor
323 posts
181 reviews
5. Re: Day trip to Longford

Thanks for the quick reply. The trip to longford is really because of ancestral roots..so we have a member of our group that wants to visit the town. Ardagh sounds like a good option for part of the day perhaps. Any idea if there are taxis available at the rail station?

Thanks!

Beaufort, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
124 reviews
6. Re: Day trip to Longford

There is a taxi rank in the square, 5 min walk from train staion. There is a possibility that taxis may hang around the station when a train comes in, but I don't know for definite.

US
Level Contributor
323 posts
181 reviews
7. Re: Day trip to Longford

Perfect. Thank you!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,694 posts
226 reviews
8. Re: Day trip to Longford

Some more ideas on things to do in Longford here - including a new scenic walk along the river.

http://www.longfordtourism.ie/see-do/

Chatterbox, heading to Longford will give you a real insight into middle Ireland very much off the beaten Tourist Track.

Dromod, Rooskey and Carrick-on-Shannon are nice enough towns and villages a bit of a drive away - if you got a taxi from Longford you could get the return train to Dublin from Dromod or Carrick

www.shannon-river.com/Town.aspx?TownID=14

leitrimtourism.com/TownsVillages/Dromod.aspx

Also an option for you could be a visit to Strokestown Park and its Irish National Famine Museum which is around 14 miles from Longford town.

http://www.strokestownpark.ie/

Some taxi companies in Longford below so that you can research fares with them

http://www.mytown.ie/longford/Taxis-Cabs

Also useful

www.longford.ie/longford_content.aspx?id=4004

Enjoy your trip!

US
Level Contributor
323 posts
181 reviews
9. Re: Day trip to Longford

dubfam - thanks for the additional suggestions and all the links with more info. Much appreciated!

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
437 posts
146 reviews
10. Re: Day trip to Longford

Perhaps you might combine both Longford and Carrick on Shannon together.

Visit Longford first - St Mel's Cathedral and lunch in Aubergine on the main street - then take the next train to Carrick, where you can visit a much smaller place of worship, the Costello Chapel. Check out The Dock which usually has an exhibition of some sort running. And you might have time before the last train to try one of the local hostelries......

Reply to: Day trip to Longford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Longford